Thread: Swimbait Rod

Swimbait Rod

I’m gonna attempt to find a versatile swimbait rod for both single hook and treble hook baits. So forgive me if this topic has been beaten to death already, but I have a mix of hard and soft baits.

Weight Range: 1-5 or 2-6oz
    Price: $150-250

Im looking at the Levante Leviathan, Dobyns Swimbait rods fury and champion xp. Is there anything else I’m missing for rods?

Hard to beat the Levante at that price but themselves name Leviathan is no no longer used. It is now just the model number. Unless you find old stock of the Levante model you will have to look at the Orochi XX F10-80XX.

3. Member
    iRod. iRod seems to have the widest range of power and action for swimbaits.

For what it's worth, I've used both the Fury 795SB and the iRod 783SB. I prefer the iRod and it isn't even close. It's a bit lighter tip so more comfortable to cast. Now I'll warn you on the weight ranges of iRod...they are overpowered. So the 783 is rated 1-4oz, but I've thrown a ROF12 8" hudd on it and you would never know it wasn't rated for it. But I've done that with a lot of my iRods, they all handle the advertised weight range very well, and even over. The Dobyns you don't want to go over about 4-4.25oz or it starts feeling overworked.

That said, I've used the 783 for everything from a 5", 6," and 8" weedless optimum on big beast hooks, S-wavers, and up to that 8" huddleston. Matt Newman (owner) was a big swimbait guy from CA, so he really put a lot into them.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    Check out Douglas Rods. The LRS 805F is right in your price range at $219 and rated for 3-7oz.

I would also look at the X Matrix lineup. Those are gonna be in the $350 range but are insanely light. Definitely helps when you're chucking big baits all day. I would look at the DXC 7116F rated for 2-6oz at $349 and the 805F rated for 3-7oz at $349.

I have the 8' Daiwa Kage swimbait rod and while it's OK, my biggest gripe is that it's too much of a broomstick for treble hooks so probably best reserved for soft baits. I was debating between it and the new Phenix M1 8' H swimbait rod and, based on my experience with the Kage, I wish I would've given the Phenix a try. It was new to market at the time and I received a great deal on the Kage, but I've since seen a ton of really positive reviews on the M1.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I have the 8' Daiwa Kage swimbait rod and while it's OK, my biggest gripe is that it's too much of a broomstick for treble hooks so probably best reserved for soft baits. I was debating between it and the new Phenix M1 8' H swimbait rod and, based on my experience with the Kage, I wish I would've given the Phenix a try. It was new to market at the time and I received a great deal on the Kage, but I've since seen a ton of really positive reviews on the M1.
    Good to know, thanks!

7. Member
    I have been using a Daiwa DX 8’H. Its a$100 rod and performs very well for me

8. Member
    St.Croix Bass X rods in the 7’10 H XH & XXH all great actions for chunking big baits. Same models in the victory line up as well

Quote Originally Posted by somerdink View Post
    St.Croix Bass X rods in the 7’10 H XH & XXH all great actions for chunking big baits. Same models in the victory line up as well
    I’ll check them out. Thank you.

The Daiwa Kage 79MHRB is an absolutely incredible rod in that 1 to 4 oz range. It's listed as an Umbrella Rig rod, but I throw a bunch of Deps 145 to 175 sized Slide Swimmers and a bunch of other baits up to about 3 oz with it and for the money, it's one of the best out there. The 711HRB Magnum Spoon rod is another great one, a bit longer, and rated up to 5 oz, and definitely worthy of a look. The Tackle Trap tries to keep all the Kage bass rods on hand, so if you have any questions on them feel free to call the shop or send me a PM. Good luck on your search!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Daiwa Kage 79MHRB is an absolutely incredible rod in that 1 to 4 oz range. It's listed as an Umbrella Rig rod, but I throw a bunch of Deps 145 to 175 sized Slide Swimmers and a bunch of other baits up to about 3 oz with it and for the money, it's one of the best out there. The 711HRB Magnum Spoon rod is another great one, a bit longer, and rated up to 5 oz, and definitely worthy of a look. The Tackle Trap tries to keep all the Kage bass rods on hand, so if you have any questions on them feel free to call the shop or send me a PM. Good luck on your search!
    Thanks Gary, I think this is a good start. Lots of good points here overall.

12. Member
    Okuma makes a nice swimbait rod also. Something to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Okuma makes a nice swimbait rod also. Something to check out.
    Thank you for that.

14. Member
    Would you say the kage mag spoon rod is great for treble hook baits only for the most part ? And same with the umbrella rig rod ? I’m debating on the two

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    iRod. iRod seems to have the widest range of power and action for swimbaits.

For what it's worth, I've used both the Fury 795SB and the iRod 783SB. I prefer the iRod and it isn't even close. It's a bit lighter tip so more comfortable to cast. Now I'll warn you on the weight ranges of iRod...they are overpowered. So the 783 is rated 1-4oz, but I've thrown a ROF12 8" hudd on it and you would never know it wasn't rated for it. But I've done that with a lot of my iRods, they all handle the advertised weight range very well, and even over. The Dobyns you don't want to go over about 4-4.25oz or it starts feeling overworked.

That said, I've used the 783 for everything from a 5", 6," and 8" weedless optimum on big beast hooks, S-wavers, and up to that 8" huddleston. Matt Newman (owner) was a big swimbait guy from CA, so he really put a lot into them.
    I'm very interested in the Kaimana Coastal Series, specifically "Poe's Mag rod".