Smoothing out top of reel seat knob thingy?

So I have this ALX kerkbait rod. Its actually a very nice rod for jerking. Only thing I don't like and getting close to borderline hate after using it for a year or 2 is the top knob. When I'm jerking, I like to point my pointer finger up against the pole. This gives me better leverage. Well the tip of my finger rubs raw on that very sharp edge. I can wear a bandaid or change my grip. I would prefer to change the rod though.

Would it be safe to touch the corner with sand paper? I don't know how think it is. I don't want to destroy the cap if it's really thin.

2. Member
    Most hardware stores carry a good selection of 'o' rings. Get a fat 'o' ring, slide down blank over guides and make sure it fits firmly up against the sharp edge. That way you don't alter rod if you ever decide to sell.

3. Member
    A couple wraps of electrical tape around it and then pressed down to form on top of the edge, will also do the trick. Easy to remove and just takes a little of work to clean off the residue.

4. Member
    You could always replace that nut with just a regular one. You'd might have to remove the stripper guide and get it re-wrapped but you might not. If you can get the current nut over it than a new one will go on. It'll go over all the rest of the guides just fine. Let me know if you need one I've got dozens in my shop.

5. Member
    If all you do is round it off, you'll be fine. That particular thread hood has some heft to it. Covering with electrical tape isn't a bad idea though if you'd rather not alter the rod.

6. Member
    I would give Alex a call and tell him about your issue and see what he thinks.

I use a few wraps of electrical tape, different colors to remind me of which specific rod I'm using

8. Member
    These little things, on otherwise very good rods, is the reason I went to custom rods. A builder could easily swap out that nut for you though. It would entail removing and rewrapping one or 2 guides.

How about a Norman hook hanger? The gray one like a heavy O ring. Kill two birds…
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

I would put some heat shrink tubing on it and overlap the sharp edge.

Hey willwork4fish I could use a few of those nuts, are they Fuji and how much are they each?
    Last edited by shackwylde; 05-20-2024 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Didn’t quote the poster

12. Member
    https://voodoorods.com/products/fuji...seat-hood-only

Almost certainly youll want size 16.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastcoco View Post
    https://voodoorods.com/products/fuji...seat-hood-only

Almost certainly youll want size 16.
    Not sure, I actually think ALX uses 17s. I can check tonight

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shackwylde View Post
    Hey willwork4fish I could use a few of those nuts, are they Fuji and how much are they each?
    shot you a PM