Using a bay boat as a Bass Boat

I have an H22 that I got with the intention of using as an all around family boat for fishing and skiing. So far I have put and ultrex on it and will soon have a box built as a removable deck extension to make more space up front for bass fishing that i can take out when the whole family goes out. Has anyone else used a boat like this for bass and do you have any tips on how to make it work. I have 6 kids and needed the space that bass boat wouldn't provide but, i still want to be able to pursue my passion as best as i can.

2. Member
    I use my H20 for a bit of everything, like you do. The Turbo Swing tow bar is fantastic for pulling tubes and stuff also a good deflector for trees! I use my "rod lockers" as storage and use Boat Buckle rod holders on the deck and will hold 8 rod no prob and they are kinda out of the way. I moved my trolling motor battery to the back to free up some space as well under the console and also helps with how the boat runs when heavy. I have my FFS mounted on a bracket from Summit Fishing they way I can remove it if I am not using it. Mount your graphs low keeps them out of the way with kids and adds a bit of protection.
    photo_2024-05-20_14-01-29.jpgphoto_2024-05-20_14-01-37.jpg photo_2024-05-20_14-01-42.jpg
    2020 Xpress H20B, Yamaha 115SHO.

3. Member
    Following

4. Member
    Looks good slack line. I already set up my graph on a mount over the recessed foot pedal tray. Its lower than i would like already. When livescoping my 12" garmin is still kinda hard to see in some light conditions. As for the tow bar, i really like the swing bars but they are so damn expensive. probably worth it though. I need to look into them a little more.

5. Member
    Not an xpress, but similar in dimensions and layout. I prefer this over a regular bass boat for a lot of reasons.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5Screenshot_20240421_183632_Photos.jpg

50678[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    bay boat make great bay boats but lousy bass boats when you lay rods on the deck to keep them out of the way of casting when someone stps on them they are broke they catch more wind than a bass boat the livewell is less than adequate to keep fish alive.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    bay boat make great bay boats but lousy bass boats when you lay rods on the deck to keep them out of the way of casting when someone stps on them they are broke they catch more wind than a bass boat the livewell is less than adequate to keep fish alive.
    Lol none of that is actually true in one made to bass fish. The rods are in a better spot - they sit way further back, leaving the whole width of the deck to fish. Wind? No longer an issue. A modern 36 volt troller will hold a 30 foot party barge on a line while you eat a sandwich. Livewell? Mine are the exact same as my bass boat, and I have two of them. What do you give up? Speed, and maybe one compartment of storage. You gain seating for 6, a slightly shallower draft, and better vision when driving.

8. Member
    well that settles it the pros will start fishing out of center console bay boats lol.

9. Member
    ^ this guys clueless!

10. Member
    well that settles it the pros will start fishing out of center console bay boats lol.
    They will when they start having to use the same boat to take their 5 grandkids fishing on their non tournament weekends lol. It's about giving up as little as possible for tournament fishing, but gaining the option to fun fish with the family.

I had 4 boats at one time - no longer ever want to do that again!

11. Member
    Love bay boats. Hard to get into garage with high center console. Much better rough water ride. Easier to spot floating debris in water due to higher vantage point when standing. Wind does make a difference even with troll motor (can spin back end around).

12. Member
    Switched to a bay boat for a few years when I had my spine surgery. Have to say there's lots of days I miss that boat. Heat of the summer or when raining I put the bimini top up and the swim platform made for a perfect port-a-potty when that breakfast burrito hits too hard.