Where should I take my 10 year old on a trip. Champlain, Cossyuna, Saratoga?

Have a free pass from my wife to take my 10 year old son a fishing trip. We usually go to Plattsburgh every year as a family and my kid has grown to love fishing in the GUT (North hero). But wind is always a huge factor getting over there from Plattsburgh. Only going for 4 days so I don't want to lose any time to wind.

I'm thinking of some smaller lakes such as Saratoga or Lake Cossyuna. I guess my question is, are these lakes as loaded with fish as everyone says they are? And is the boat traffic crazy? I'd probably be going the last week of June during the week and avoiding weekends.

2. Member
    Saratoga is always busy because of Albany and downstate traffic basically the whole eastern side of the state is just more populated than other areas, with much easier access from out of state folks. higher boat volumes is just expected and many people put my way tend to avoid it if possible. While I have never fished Saratoga, I worked with many people who have when I was at a firm in Albany.. It’s a decent place to fish. Not “loaded” but doesn’t suck either.

I’d toss in places like Oneida, Cayuga, Onondaga etc over Saratoga.

The atmosphere is better in Saratoga over Onondaga (Syracuse)
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I'll second what ECobb said about Saratoga. I live about 25 minutes away and only fish there 2-3 times a season, reluctantly. The weekends are a nightmare at the state launch or the launch at the campground. Sometimes 2 - 3 tx going on same day on weekends, some clubs are starting to fish tx's during the week trying to avoid the crowds. Pre-covid, weekdays were pretty light crowds...since covid, the numbers of boats on the water is unbelievable, and weekdays I've seen 20-30 bass rigs in the lot. There are some solid bass there, but you have to work through the 1 1/4 lbers.

4. Member
    What time of year are you going? Are you specifically looking to catch small mouth? I’m not much of a smallmouth guy so you may want to consider that while taking account on my suggestions…

I am a fan of the finger lakes. Beautiful and good fishing. The large lakes, Cayuga and Seneca, wind can get them pretty rough. However, if you need to change plans on short notice due to wind, it’s only a short drive to smaller lakes in the area. A Quick Look on google earth will tell you a lot.

Otisco Lake is kind of over looked. The bass fishing is decent and there’s always a chance of hooking a Tiger Muskie. Thislake is part of the DEC stoking program. Boat traffic isn’t bad.

Onondaga lake is not as scenic as the finger lakes but has a lot of good fish. It gets a lot of attention from anglers but pleasure boating is minimal. I think the lakes history deters the pleasure boat crowd. Also a chance at a Tiger Muskie on this lake.

A lot of folks like Onieda. I’m just not a fan.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Howard View Post
    What time of year are you going? Are you specifically looking to catch small mouth? I’m not much of a smallmouth guy so you may want to consider that while taking account on my suggestions…

I am a fan of the finger lakes. Beautiful and good fishing. The large lakes, Cayuga and Seneca, wind can get them pretty rough. However, if you need to change plans on short notice due to wind, it’s only a short drive to smaller lakes in the area. A Quick Look on google earth will tell you a lot.

Otisco Lake is kind of over looked. The bass fishing is decent and there’s always a chance of hooking a Tiger Muskie. Thislake is part of the DEC stoking program. Boat traffic isn’t bad.

Onondaga lake is not as scenic as the finger lakes but has a lot of good fish. It gets a lot of attention from anglers but pleasure boating is minimal. I think the lakes history deters the pleasure boat crowd. Also a chance at a Tiger Muskie on this lake.

A lot of folks like Onieda. I’m just not a fan.
    Thanks, I'd have to agree the Finger Lakes are pretty amazing. I've driven through there but haven't fished.

I decided I'm going to make my kid suffer with a 7.5 hour drive and cross over the border into the Land O Lakes region of Canada. I had been going there for almost 30 years until the border closed during covid, then I started going to Champlain. The lakes are small and loaded with fish, wind is never an issue..

I do think I am going to take a guy's trip to Cayuga and/or Otisco at some point. That's only 5 hours from where I live. Lucky you that you live near all of those amazing fisheries, but I don't envy your winters!