clutch lever adjustment ?

Yamaha Star 950. I think my clutch lever needs adjusting. I've got the owners manual but I guess I'm not clear thinking this morning. The instructions say there should be about a 1/4" of free play. It seems to work fine in the first three gears when riding passively. When I get on the throttle kind of aggressively in 4th and 5th gears , to me it sounds like rpm building but power response is slipping or slow catching on. Otherwise it runs fine. I rode into Nashville the other night down the interstate and it did just fine.

So anyway, I've notice when I take off from a stop the clutch has to be almost completely released for the clutch to be engaged ? Should the bike begin to move as soon as the lever is released or should the lever be almost completely released before the bike begins to move ? The entire range of motion for the lever is probably 3 or 4 " . I appreciate the feedback.
    GETFISHED !!!

If you have a 1/4” of free play and the clutch is slipping when you roll on the throttle it’s time for a new clutch.

Yep, What he said. So when your at speed and you roll on hard, does the RPMs sound like they go up quicker than the speed? If so, then time for a new clutch. Look it up on you tube. Probably not that bad to do.
    Last edited by cape cod basser; 03-21-2024 at 12:07 PM.
    Proud Army Dad