Thread: Rough water?

Rough water?

Well what is the roughest water you have been in.

Besides the lovely crusers buzz by on my local river and the barge traffic on the Mississippi the biggest water I've had my new rig out on was 4-6ft waves on superior

Boat preformed great and was able to run around 50mph without getting bashed around to bad

Well I did get a wet front deck from the waves breaking on the side of the boat but felt safe

Been in my buddies Yarcraft which worked great also but I did notice a lot of hull slap on the waves
    http://www.scvwl.com
    2013 Ranger 620VS Yamaha 250 and Yamaha 9.9 kicker

2. Member
    Back in the mid 80s on Lake Guntersville. Fishing back in South Sauty and headed back to Goose Pond Colony for the weigh in. I had a 82 Procraft Fish and Ski. Could only catch a glimpse of the buoys every once in a while. Got to the main river and headed upstream into the waves and wind. My partner started singing The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald... butt puckering ride for a while!

I was in a 2012 Reata on Devils Lake this fall. It was rippin' and the waves were a solid 6'. The Reata did great. We weren't making 50...but we were pulling a solid 35 on the gps. It was the same day the Cabelas Walleye Tourney was there...we went to the weigh in and some of those boats were BATTERED! Windshields, loose, parts falling off...man...those boys were beating on em'. I was going to buy a different boat up until that day, but that boat did great although we stuffed the front end once...got a little tense there! Anyway, I just bought a 2014 Reata 2050 LS. My previous boat before that was an Alumacraft 195 tournament pro single console. I would not have taken that boat out that Saturday on devils lake. I had the Alumacraft out in solid 4 ft'ers once and that was a beating and a near drowning all in one ride. I loved my Alumacraft, but on the rough days...it was rough..and wet. Since my days pick me vice me picking my days...I opted to upgrade to fiberglass with a full windshield...now I don't care what the weather is short of a Thunderstorm.

4. Banned
    Lake Ontario is my home water and all of the fishing is 6 to 9 miles east of the inlet. Of course with the weather always coming from the west, I've been caught out there many times and been forced to head back into it to get home. A few times the waves were so big you had to tack into the weather just to keep taking the waves at a safe angle. Speared a few waves and flooded the cockpit over the years. Had some damage done to the boats as well, both tin boats and glass. I'm running a Crestliner 192 now and it's a good fit, but if Ontario or Erie get really rough...

5. Banned
    Lake Erie!

Most intimidating - 10'+ rollers out of the south Big Bay de Noc. Couldn't see over the top of the next one in the troughs and had to run parallel a sheer rock cliff to get back to the launch. Roughest - Lake Erie. The waves on that lake are pains in the a** (but the fish are awesome).

7. Member
    Apalachicola bay in a 180 Phantom Smokercraft. 3' to 4' waves at least. Had to turn around and head back to safer water. Couldn't run but maybe 10mph. Boat handles big waves great while fishing, not so much while trying to run with the big motor.

8. Member
    Years ago fished a tournament with my buddy in his 20 ft. Hydrasport bass boat in Georgian Bay/Midland area. The waves were 5-6 ft and very windy, we "stuffed" a wave at blast-off and lost our trolling motor cable and got totaly wet. Never fished in those conditions before and guys were coming back into the weigh-in with no windshields, motor cowlings and some had no trolling motors. We fished most of the first and all of the second day with no trolling motor, not a good time. Should have known how bad it was going to be, at the blast-off , Bob and Wayne Izumi were wearing survival suits, motor cycle helmets and their Ranger had its decks stripped of trolling motor, and fishing gear, I even asked my buddy; "where the hell are they going" ? Was told "out to the islands" !
    Last edited by FrancoCialone; 11-02-2023 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipkey View Post
    Most intimidating - 10'+ rollers out of the south Big Bay de Noc. Couldn't see over the top of the next one in the troughs
    Same here Big Bay de Noc...BASS Federation Nation: 2009 Northern Divisional Day 3. Three boats didn't make it back to the landing, and one pair of anglers had to be rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard after their boat took on water. One of the guys in our club had nightmares for a few weeks after that.

10. Member
    35mph in 6"ers?
    2002 G3 HP180
    2013 250 Pro XS-Jet converted

2001 Tracker Targa 18

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmidte View Post
    Same here Big Bay de Noc...BASS Federation Nation: 2009 Northern Divisional Day 3. Three boats didn't make it back to the landing, and one pair of anglers had to be rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard after their boat took on water. One of the guys in our club had nightmares for a few weeks after that.
    LOL. Easily the roughest water I have been in with a bass rig.

But Flic did say he got closer to god a few times that day!

Quote Originally Posted by saugers2 View Post
    Flic did say he got closer to god a few times that day!
    I think we all did!!
    “Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching—even when doing the wrong thing is legal.” —Unknown

13. Member
    2010 (i think) FLW Stren in January at Lake Falcon. Absolutely the worst conditions I've ever been in in a bass boat. Temp dropped from 74 in the parking lot at the hotel, to 35 at take off. 40-50 mph winds straight down the lake. They should have never let us go, and nowadays they would cancel the day in a heartbeat in those conditions. Just brutal.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...pics/4344978/3

Some anecdotes from that tournament that are fun to read.
    Last edited by blakesfav; 02-06-2024 at 10:40 PM.

14. Member
    I fish Lake Erie out of a 17’9” Javelin. I’ve been in some waves that concerned me. Whatever the measurement, they were big enough for me, but if you’re patient and keep the nose up, you can get through about anything. In the roughest experiences I would have to run about 13 mph, so not fully on plane.

I’ve also been on Kentucky Lake when it was bad. The wave height didn’t match Erie, but the waves were very steep. I was with my brother in his 19’ Stratos and we stuffed two waves. I was in the passenger seat without a console and was just soaked. It was 38 degrees, snowed that day and we fished for a few hours after stuffing the wave.

15. Member
    I fish Lake Michigan and Bay of Green Bay a lot and have a 22' Skeeter walleye boat. Rollers over my head you bet, but you're not running them at speed. 50 mph in 4-6' waves, not unless you're a fool and have no concern for not only your safety, but also your boat. You can bounce off legitimate 4'ers, destroy your back and boat, but then there is those off time waves, and if you have any actual experience in true 4' ers, you're going to regret it. 6'ers, you're not running at 50 mph