Center step box install

I bought one of these to replace the center seat on my boat.

My boat has storage under the seat that is accessed by flipping up the center seat which is hinged. I am thinking about reusing that hinge using a piece of 3/4 plywood as a base then screwing this new step to the plywood. Will probably paint the plywood or if I could find a carpet remnant use that to cover the plywood.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Capture.JPG
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

2. Member
    I used velcro. Got a 6 inch square and never had an issue.

Can you reuse the existing piano hinge? I installed one in my Nitro and it was really easy to do, but mine had a flip up panel there and not a seat.
    IMG_20220827_105539437_HDR.jpgIMG_20220827_105545613.jpg
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    Can you reuse the existing piano hinge? I installed one in my Nitro and it was really easy to do, but mine had a flip up panel there and not a seat.
    IMG_20220827_105539437_HDR.jpgIMG_20220827_105545613.jpg

That is what I am wanting to do. I think I can reuse the hinge but I need to make the panel. I do not think I can or should attach the hinge right to the box.

Making the panel from will be easy but I need to find some carpet. Maybe I can use a poly cutting board and wrap it with carpet?
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

I'm guessing that's what the Nitro panel is, so should work.

A couple of things about these boxes to be aware of:

They are not water tight, so don't put anything in there that can't get wet! And empty it out after it does get wet.

The lid closes tight, which is good, but it can be hard to open. Just use two hands and it pops open.

It's a good storage box for sure, holds up just fine and works great as a step up to the back deck. I store all my cull tags, fin clips and fizzing needle in there and it works great for that.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    I'm guessing that's what the Nitro panel is, so should work.

A couple of things about these boxes to be aware of:

They are not water tight, so don't put anything in there that can't get wet! And empty it out after it does get wet.

The lid closes tight, which is good, but it can be hard to open. Just use two hands and it pops open.

It's a good storage box for sure, holds up just fine and works great as a step up to the back deck. I store all my cull tags, fin clips and fizzing needle in there and it works great for that.
    I put a piece of Aqua traction on top of mine. It dressed it up and also assisted with not being slick when wet. I agree they fill up with water when it rains. I also lined mine with the material you put in kitchen drawers. It helped soften anything rolling around.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

7. Member
    I was thinking of getting one also but if its not watertight I don't think I want it.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

I've got one, mainly for the Step, but, yep, they are not waterproof. I keep the stuff in there that water would harm by using a plastic lunch meat container !! Fits just right and is water tight.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Vatrer Lithium / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    I took the center seat bottom off of my 94' Champion 190 to put a step up to tge back deck. I bought one of the thick white plastic cuuting boards they sell at various stores and glued and carpeted it. Mounted it with the same hinge from the seat bottom. Still was able to use the under seat storage or as a third seat. Simply put the original seat bottom in one of the rod boxes, and if had the need for a third seat placed the seat bottom on top of the carpeted step box for someone to sit on when under power. Looked factory built and worked great.

If you can, use a poly material (like King Starboard) that doesn't require any weatherproofing, and just leave it uncovered. But you'll need it thick enough to not deflect when you stand on it.
    If you go with plywood, use an outdoor rated version, and coat it with epoxy resin for lifetime waterproofing. Then paint it, wrap with marine vinyl, or carpet... whatever you prefer.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    I put a piece of Aqua traction on top of mine. It dressed it up and also assisted with not being slick when wet. I agree they fill up with water when it rains. I also lined mine with the material you put in kitchen drawers. It helped soften anything rolling around.
    Used it for 2 years and never had an issue with water getting in unless the lid was open...
    Fish have fins, they swim

12. Member
    I got some carpet coming in. When it gets here I think I am going to see if I can mount the hinge to the cutting board and will carpet it if it works out.