New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question Best way to check prop shaft after a collision

My partner hit not one but two rock piles yesterday, but shut the engine down and of course there CB is a big. Hunk of the skew gone and the prop is junk .250 Yamaha what is the best way to see if the prop shaft is bent and if he needs it to be replaced.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Sounds like a certified mechanic is in his future. I hit something and had enough hours in the seat to tell something was wrong, but it wasn’t visible by any means. Am certain there is a tool to measure/check. Prop shaft and prop were covered by insurance.

3. Member
    One time I hit a rock pile and the shaft look straight when you turned prop by hand with a dial indicator on it. dealer said we will just put new one in. I said can we xray for cracks, doesnt pay he said, and ins. will pay now but not later if it fails. Friend did just that, and when it broke the shaft broke first trip put next spring he had to pay out of pocket

I still have my Machinest tools so I have checked my prop shaft a couple times after tearing up a prop but it was OK each time. It has to be a really bad collusion to bend the prop shaft because the rubber hub takes most of the shock.
    As stated, unless you have a dial indicator, it will have to go the shop.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Prop shafts have a centering hole when they are cut. Spinning it will show the out of round on the rotation. It’s simple to see and you can mount and hover a flexible ball shaft machinist arm over the center if you’re really worried. Though that’s not necessary as you should see it easily.

Also spin your prop occasionally, if there’s water inside they will free spin, while thicker liquids like gear oil have resistance. it won’t show a milk shake combo unless it’s really mostly water, but we’ve found dozens with water by spinning the shaft.

6. Member
    likely needs a lower unit now!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

When I took mine in to be checked they had a nicer version of one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Indic...6209066&sr=8-9
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    After I ran over a log in 2011 (~ 45mph maybe), had new boat dealer where I got yearly maintenance/batteries check out the 1997 Mercury 175 EFI & prop shaft (was OK), I asked boat dealer to send 1997 A45 prop to prop shop to get checked (prop shop - was OK), dropped off Champ at Truman Fiberglass Repair (no longer in business now, pad needed repaired $1017.39 bill). Didn't use insurance policy for this.
    Last edited by tj; 05-20-2024 at 08:53 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

I use a dial indicator with a magnetic base and adjustable arms from igaging.com. Obviously the magnet doesn’t stick to the cavitation plate, I use an adjustable clamp. I check the prop shaft when I winterize my boat motor after I take the prop off. I record the value on the winterizing sheet for that year. Yea I know, OCD.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Prop shafts have a centering hole when they are cut. Spinning it will show the out of round on the rotation. It’s simple to see and you can mount and hover a flexible ball shaft machinist arm over the center if you’re really worried. Though that’s not necessary as you should see it easily.

Also spin your prop occasionally, if there’s water inside they will free spin, while thicker liquids like gear oil have resistance. it won’t show a milk shake combo unless it’s really mostly water, but we’ve found dozens with water by spinning the shaft.
    This^ You can see the very small movements, as much .0010", with good light and vision.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

11. Member
    If it was a sho then it is bent.

12. Member
    Run out gauge.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

13. Member
    I clamp a piece of wire like a coat hanger to the skeg with vise grips/quick clamp. Bend it around and center it to the divot at the end of the propshaft. Spin the shaft, and see if there's any runout.

14. Member
    The most accurate and best way would be to use a dial indicator. Idk if that level of accuracy is required, but it would be the most accurate result and give a true runout number.

15. Member
    its just about shaft bend it could be cracked nd twist off later. at your expense, let ins. pay now because they wont pay next year . they will claim it just part failure