Thread: Hooksets

Hooksets

Gents, I need some help. I am slowly getting into the big bait world of swimbaits. I started fishing a 6inch magdraft last summer consistently and it really upped my confidence. This winter I bought some bigger weedless baits which require a 12/0 beast hook and requires a new rod. I’m sharing all this because I know my hookset is the weak point. Do I go with a softer that loads up deeper or stay with a fast rod and just give her hell? I really love my mark56 for the 6inch weedless and similarbaits and hardbaits. Thoughts on hooksets and rod? I have a few rods in mind: F5, Leviathan, Okuma, St. Croix.

2. Member
    What are you using for line, and how heavy/bulky is the Swimbait?

Swimbait is a 6inch 3 1/4oz rigged with a 12/0 beast hook and line is gonna be 17-20lb flouro, either Invizx or FC Sniper. Rod to be determined.

4. Member
    Well FWIW, that's a massive beast hook for a 6" bait, but I see it weighs in at 3.25 oz rigged. Honesty, I would go with a fast taper in your case, and an XH power unless you are going to be using an actual light powered swimbait rod.

I would hold the rod tip at a slight angle from the line retrieve and pause a split second before hammering the fish to drive that 12/0 home.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Well FWIW, that's a massive beast hook for a 6" bait, but I see it weighs in at 3.25 oz rigged. Honesty, I would go with a fast taper in your case, and an XH power unless you are going to be using an actual light powered swimbait rod.

I would hold the rod tip at a slight angle from the line retrieve and pause a split second before hammering the fish to drive that 12/0 home.
    I agree, it is massive. Here’s the bait: https://www.dcswimbaits.com/product/6.5DCshad/4
    Think I found a rod that might work, been talking to the guys on swimbait underground.

Your input is appreciated and is very similar to what is being said on swimbait underground.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    I agree, it is massive. Here’s the bait: https://www.dcswimbaits.com/product/6.5DCshad/4
    Think I found a rod that might work, been talking to the guys on swimbait underground.

Your input is appreciated and is very similar to what is being said on swimbait underground.
    Yeppers, I can see that. Killer looking swimbait as well. Also, I would consider 20-25 lb fluoro.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Yeppers, I can see that. Killer looking swimbait as well. Also, I would consider 20-25 lb fluoro.

Good luck.
    I’ve got a couple rods I’m looking at: Irod Sniper Swim, Rebellion Swimbait, F5 Ghost, and Leviathan Alpha Soft Swim. Any recommendations??