Gelcoat or Hull Damage

Put a pretty good scratch on her this past weekend. I was fishing high water after a lot of rain and went over a vertical steel post that was barely submerged when I was fishing down the bank (not running big motor).

It doesn't really seem to be deeper than the gelcoat, but should I be worried about structural or hull damage?

Boat Scratch.jpg
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    NO

3. Member
    Looks cosmetic, but it will cost you!

4. Member
    Definitely cosmetic, I’m guessing $1,800 to $2,200 to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by stringwise View Post
    Good news, and bad news!!!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stringwise View Post
    Really!? Wow that’s surprising, I also have a gel coat/fiberglass issue I’m going to have to get fixed and I wasn’t expecting it to be that high. I was thinking around $1,200 but I don’t have a clue.

7. Member
    Get a big black sharpie and color it in on the Black gel. You will barely see it. Its fine, save your money for something that really matters! Also a silver sharpie will hide the area of silver flake!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Get a big black sharpie and color it in on the Black gel. You will barely see it. Its fine, save your money for something that really matters! Also a silver sharpie will hide the area of silver flake!
    This is good advice. I know it really bothers us when our toys get a blemish but in the overall scheme of things this is just what happens when you use something in the real world. The sharpie will hide the defect so that to notice it you'd have to really be looking for it. It looks like most if not all of this scratch will be below the waterline when the boat is at rest so hidden except when on the trailer. I learned that to fix every cosmetic mishap that happens gets to be real expensive fast and it never stops. It is a good thing to take care of our stuff and have it look as good as possible but if we use them we need to be practical. My thoughts anyway. You have a very nice boat, don't let obsessing over minor stuff reduce the pleasure of ownership / use. Don't ask me how I know that!

9. Member
    GOOGLE , How to repair gelcoat. It isn't difficult. DIY isn't going to make it completely disappear but as soon as you pay a lot of $$ to get it fixed you will get another one.

10. Member
    I use automotive touch up paint pens. I’ve got one for every color on the boat. Black is easy.