Thread: Line Fraying

Line Fraying

I have a problem with Flouro getting frayed after a day or two. I have mostly dobyns and shimano rods. The combos that seem to show the most fray are the rods that I have Zillion SV TW reels on… I have done everything I know to do. I have Q-tipped all rods, I have cleaned the T-wing system (level wind on my shimano reels that I have line fray on), and I have totally switched line on most rods from InvisX to Daiwa Samurai. What am I missing??? Line will be frayed the length of a cast in the spool. And intermittent bad spots about 1-3” long. 18ish” apart.

2. Member
    Did you ever use braid on these rods? Sounds like you either have a "V" worn in one or more of the inserts of the guides,or a crack in one of them.

3. Member
    It could also be epoxy on a guide causing it...I read this from a post a few months ago and it was enlightening as it took the poster so much trial and error and testing to finally figure this out.

The strange thing is the "18-ish apart in 1-3" segments. This sounds like a pretty consistent pattern from say rotational damage of some sort?

4. Member
    2 of the 8-10 that are giving me trouble yes. The rest have never had braid on them.

5. Member
    Was the braid damaged already off the spool of line? Sounds like perhaps the T-Wing may be damaging the line when it gets to a hard angle in the corner of the levelwind travel.

6. Member
    Sometimes, when there is too much line in a reel, the line will rub on the frame under the spool and this will cause the fraying. Something to check.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    Sometimes, when there is too much line in a reel, the line will rub on the frame under the spool and this will cause the fraying. Something to check.
    Good catch.

8. Member
    I have not had any trouble with my braid rods. I have made sure to not over fill the spools… I have been dealing with this for about 8 months. I will re-check the guides for epoxy. Never had issues before 8 months ago.

9. Member
    Man that's weird...are you perhaps threading the line though one of the metal frames and missing the guide itself?

10. Member
    More than one rod/outfit? I’m wondering what kind of spooler you have.

11. Member
    The other factor to consider and look into, is what changed ~ 8 months ago with your gear and as noted, if you got a new line spooler at that time? When I spool line I always use my forefingers to apply tension so I can feel the line going through and this have a feedback on the texture of the line.

12. Scraps
    Q-tip in the guides to find a crack.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    I've been in the tackle business my entire life. I've never seen or heard of anyone having that problem on multiple rods, and almost never for more than a short section of line. Personally, I can't believe that many rods from Dobyns and Shimano have bad guides, nor do I think that the reels are defective, so I would look at the line itself. There are "bad batches" of line that show up from time to time., and/or the spooler itself is damaging the line. I don't believe the rods or reels are the problem.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Q-tip in the guides to find a crack.
    Yep, he said he did that as well in his original post.

15. Member
    I have never seen anything like this either. Never had any problems before. I was thinking I had a bad batch of line, but after buying new line and it still happening, I just don't know if it was something that I was missing. I am going to double check rod eyes again. I just can't see it being that. like I said in the original post I have Q-Tipped all of them and even had a rod builder look at some of them too.

16. Member
    I don't want to repeat what I said but your desription sure looks like something that happened to me. I put a bit to much line in a couple of my reels and the bulge it forms in the middle of the spool would rub a bit on the reel frame under the spool. Same thing : lenght of cast and fraying about every 20 inches on fluoro. It did not rub when I pulled line by hand. It rubbed during a cast.

17. Member
    Two things you might look at:
    Flex the rod as you check the guides and use a piece of panty hose instead of a Qtip. Pull the spools out of the reel that this happening in and check the spools for burrs/damage, dropping a spool or using the spool to pull braided line out of a snag can really damage them.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KSViper View Post
    Two things you might look at:
    Flex the rod as you check the guides and use a piece of panty hose instead of a Qtip. Pull the spools out of the reel that this happening in and check the spools for burrs/damage, dropping a spool or using the spool to pull braided line out of a snag can really damage them.
    This sounds way more kinky

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    I don't want to repeat what I said but your desription sure looks like something that happened to me. I put a bit to much line in a couple of my reels and the bulge it forms in the middle of the spool would rub a bit on the reel frame under the spool. Same thing : lenght of cast and fraying about every 20 inches on fluoro. It did not rub when I pulled line by hand. It rubbed during a cast.
    This sounds like the most likely source for the problem - all those rods and reels cannot be bad.