Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jack plate bolts

Getting ready to install a jack plate and did a search on here to read all of the posts about the install. The question I have is it looks like if you are installing a mercury to the jack plate you are to use there bolt kit becouse of hardened washers. Why only the Mercury's? There are posts saying that it is critical you use them. What happens if you use other washers? Just wondering if it's mercurys way of getting $40 out of you or if it's really critical. Could I use the washers that are currently used to attach the motor to the transom? I would assume they would be the hardened washers. Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    Washers, other than the recommended ones, will cup and distort changing the torque spec and the holding power of the bolts and nuts.
    They are expensive but I bit the bullet and did the job correctly after I found my motor was incorrectly mounted and the washers were, in fact, compromised.
    Michael Martin
    Virginia...now in Maryland
    1998 P III, 2006 200 Optimax SOLD
    2017 Robalo 226 Cayman, 200 Yamaha 4 stroke

3. Member
    I can understand that. I guess my question is there has to be hardened washers locally available. I was hoping to do it this week and not have to order more hardware. My local ranger dealer said nothing about it when I asked the about it. What does other engine brands use? Mercury is the only that specify to use them.

4. Member
    please use good washers/ i look at hundereds of mtrs a year that are about too fall off /use good fine thread bolts too

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury Bolt kits are available that contain the CORRECT hardware... from the engine manufacturer.

Sherm (or we) can assist you through the Parts Departments (email is the best contact method).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Is it ok to use the current bolts,nuts and washers that hold the motor to the transom to attach the jack plate to the transom?

7. Member
    good washers both sides

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    good washers both sides
    should already have the good washers from stock right?

9. Member
    yes ,i like to put large washers like come with mtr on both sides of plate if possible, you just dont want anything moving around back there and more clamp area [make sense]

10. Member
    Yes it does. I bought the jack plate used on here. It's a pot-hijacker6". I noticed the bolt heads did not have a washer when previously installed ( can see marks in the aluminum). I don't think the radius of the jack plate will allow a washer.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattorschell View Post
    Yes it does. I bought the jack plate used on here. It's a pot-hijacker6". I noticed the bolt heads did not have a washer when previously installed ( can see marks in the aluminum). I don't think the radius of the jack plate will allow a washer.
    If washers won't fit,possibly one of these will work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cap-screws/=129gtzw

The high strength stainless flange head cap screws

12. Member
    smaller dia washers will work also,sometimes i have to modify washers for radius

13. Member
    I am a little confused. I called Mercury to get the correct bolt kit and they told me it doesn't exist. They said to get the bolts from the manufacturer of the jack plate. I am not trying to be difficult. I was calling about something else and thought I would get the part number from them and see if I could get them cheaper on the Internet.

14. Member
    EuropeanAM sent you an email.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's likely whoever you talked to at Merc didn't understand the question or the situation.

2.5" Bolt Kit is Part# 67755A22.

And, if you happen to require 3" bolts for the upper mounting bolt position, we carry them also (separately).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Thanks. I will have to see if I will need 2.5" or 3". Might need 3" for the bottom due to the brackets for the ranger cover.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or move those brackets off the mounting bolts (per Merc Service Bulletin- NOTHING should be attached to the engine mounting hardware, other than the engine and it's mounting surface).

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Or move those brackets off the mounting bolts (per Merc Service Bulletin- NOTHING should be attached to the engine mounting hardware, other than the engine and it's mounting surface).
    Where are people moving them too? Not sure of any other locations that would be available.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on the jackplate being used.

Some can move to an additional hole (drilled outside the engine mounting surface), while others may be moved to the side of the jackplate.

I've noticed that Ranger continues to install the brackets on the mounting bolts (even though prohibited in the Service Bulletin).

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Depends on the jackplate being used.

Some can move to an additional hole (drilled outside the engine mounting surface), while others may be moved to the side of the jackplate.

I've noticed that Ranger continues to install the brackets on the mounting bolts (even though prohibited in the Service Bulletin).
    I noticed that on a new boat in the show room at my dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast