Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are the newer Nitro boats (2018+) actually lower quality then the competition?

Seems to be a common idea that Nitro boats have inferior build quality than the competition. Is this true?

2. Member
    As someone who does fiberglass repairs and warranty work on all major brands, there isn't 5k difference in any of them. I get to see underneath the glitter and carpet. I can find flaws in any of them. The best built would be Allison. You don't find stress cracks or failed transoms in them..ever. The rest just have different rides and trim levels. None of them hold value percentage wise, over another. Trailers otoh can be different. Buy whatever you like, everyone has different tastes.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    As someone who does fiberglass repairs and warranty work on all major brands, there isn't 5k difference in any of them. I get to see underneath the glitter and carpet. I can find flaws in any of them. The best built would be Allison. You don't find stress cracks or failed transoms in them..ever. The rest just have different rides and trim levels. None of them hold value percentage wise, over another. Trailers otoh can be different. Buy whatever you like, everyone has different tastes.
    Interesting. That’s good info.

They have gotten better in my opinion, from the older boats before 2018. I have not had a stress crack in my Nitro for a long time, well before 2018. I do over 100 hours a year and fish Rayburn and Toledo.

So why do I need to spend that much more for another brand?

There are things every manufacturer does better than the other. Question is are those things worth the extra money.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Never had a single build/construction issue with any of my Nitros. The rumors about build quality were for very early models and don't apply to anything from early 2000 on IMO.

I used to hear rumors that they used an inferior Perko latches in Nitros while they put the "good ones" in the Rangers and other higher end boats. Total crock.

Its funny some of the lies I have heard people say about Nitro.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

There are some hilarious stories out there about Nitro. There were some issues many, many years ago. I had an NX750 that was a total turd with a weak transom, delaminating stringers, stress cracks and other issues that Tracker Marine said was my problem. I will not own another. The whole hooked hull defect on Z7s is another strike against Tracker Marine that is shameful. Despite all that, the latest versions are not bad boats especially if buying new.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

No doubt they have had some issues in the past, and its hard for many to get past it.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    I fished in a club tourney with a guy that had a nitro back in the late 90's early 2000's and swore I would never own a nitro. In 2019 I bought a nitro z19 and I don't regret buying it. Only thing I regret is have to work and not get to use it everyday. Lol
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBass99 View Post
    Seems to be a common idea that Nitro boats have inferior build quality than the competition. Is this true?

A lot of people have zero firsthand experience. They just parrot stuff they have heard

I had to replace batteries every 3-4 years in my 2006 911 CDC! Finally decided to trade it in 10 yrs later and got a 2016 Z21...sure enough batteries every 3-4 years. Other than that, no issues.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

12. Member
    I have yet to see someone give a convincing argument that nitros are built worse / constructed poorly in comparison to their peers. Mostly just hearsay from back when nitro was first getting started (and to be honest a lot of bass boats were junk during that era).
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Any problem someone has on a Nitro, they blame Nitro. I think we getting over that now, a big complaint was service and I think they are doing a better job with that these days. My dealer was one of the better service centers around in my opinion.

Once had someone tell me the Mercs they were putting on Nitros were different than other Mercs.

Trailer have taken some abuse in the past few years. I think they have addressed some of that.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    I have owned skeeters and rangers then I bought a 2019 z20. I can tell you the skeeter has a little better fiberglass but my nitro is better at everything else. My ranger trailer gave out after 7 years and the oil filled hubs was a constant problem.

All makes had oil filled hubs at 1 time.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Had a 2010 Z8 and will never have another Bass Pro boat again. You could be running down the lake and parts would hit you that were coming off (trim pieces, screws, carpet, etc). I was always scared one more bolt or screw that fell in the floor and the console was gonna fly out. I don't think they were the best back then, and are a little better now but I definitely think I had a lemon. The trailer was a joke. It was so bad you couldn't pull the boat over 50mph for it bouncing. Trailer was 4 inches out of square. It was a job to get it to hit the bow roller. After multiple trips to bass pro and eventually getting an attorney involved they replaced it. Nitro's initial fix was they told me 50mph was fast enough to pull a boat on the highway. Bass Pro was always helpful and did what they could but it was not them that refused to make it right.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    Good God did he just say Allison makes the best built boat?? That flies in the face of so many professional fisherman and boat experts that I have heard over the years. Here I thought I bought a junk boat 23 years ago and was just lucky it has lasted this long. APS any evidence to backup this claim??

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post
    Good God did he just say Allison makes the best built boat?? That flies in the face of so many professional fisherman and boat experts that I have heard over the years. Here I thought I bought a junk boat 23 years ago and was just lucky it has lasted this long. APS any evidence to backup this claim??

22R
    Ive never heard anyone bash Allison build quality

Man the go-fast boat guys are sensitive
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Ive never heard anyone bash Allison build quality

Man the go-fast boat guys are sensitive
    Either have I, never heard a pro fisherman even speak of Allison or a few others. Not even sure what the point of that post is.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post

22R
    lol. Ever seen one with busted stringers, bad transom, or stress cracks? Nope. I didn't even mention the ride, which is better than just about anything on the market. XB21 has as much storage as my Z20 and cruises over 70 at 5k rpm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast