Thread: Sardis Lake

Sardis Lake

Going to Sardis Lake this weekend for first time. I do know it has some big bass in it and am excited and hopeful we run across one or two bigguns. Any one have any advice they’re willing to share for an newbie or any places to avoid with more standing timber than others? Plan on putting in at potato hills boat ramp. Thanks

2. Member
    love sardis but always 50-50 seams like for wind. thats the ramp i use but can be bad in the wind. i wouldnt run between the island and land out in front of the ramp. Best day i ever had was with skinny dippers my wife has caught some toads on magnum lizards

My best day on Sardis was one time when the wind just kept us off the main lake so we stayed on the east bank between the dam and the creek channel. There's a whole day of cover and structure to fish there.

I had a friend to venture out on the lake that day in a 21 foot Triton. He told me they were up to their ankles in water with both pumps working as hard as they could. He said it was the first time he was ever worried in a bass boat. So, take the wind seriously. There's something about how the lake sits in relation to the surrounding hills that makes the wind really stir up the lake.

There are a lot of hazards; shallow rocks, shallow bars, standing timber, etc in the open lake. A good map is very helpful. I did it with a paper map the first time I went there, 20 years ago. I haven't been down there in a few years. I see that my new Humminbird Lakemaster card shows the hazards and shallow areas to avoid very well.

If you do get blown out, McGee Creek is not far and much easier to handle in a high wind.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info!