Grounding Electronics Battery

I’m thinking about adding a standalone electronics battery with its own independent charger. My setup includes 3 Solix, Mega 360, Mega Live and an Ultrex. Batteries include lithium starter/house and lithium trolling motor batteries charged via a charging system interconnected to all batteries. All electronics are connected to a fuse block I installed and that’s connected to a battery switch and grounded to the starter/house battery.

If I ground this standalone battery to my starting battery and then connect the + & - wires from the fuse block directly to the standalone battery is there any risk of interference feeding from the starter/house and/or trolling motor batteries to this standalone battery and then to the electronics?

I don’t currently have the choke cable, that came with the MegaLive, installed but might do that regardless since I get some interference from the trolling motor when using MegaLive on landscape mode.

Yes if you have all the batteries connected together in any manner. The wires and charger are antennas for RFI.

If you need to add the choke, disconnect the electronics circuit from the standalone battery and connect the choke between the circuit and battery. That will take care of all devices connected to the standalone battery.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes if you have all the batteries connected together in any manner. The wires and charger are antennas for RFI.

If you need to add the choke, disconnect the electronics circuit from the standalone battery and connect the choke between the circuit and battery. That will take care of all devices connected to the standalone battery.
    Thanks Wayne! “Electronics circuit” would be the fuse block all the electronics are connected to, correct?

4. Member
    That's interesting ... install the choke cable for the power supply to the electronics. Seems like a smart way to do it in this situation. But is there a true need to ground the stand-alone electronics battery to the starting battery? Or a true need to ground it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    That's interesting ... install the choke cable for the power supply to the electronics. Seems like a smart way to do it in this situation. But is there a true need to ground the stand-alone electronics battery to the starting battery? Or a true need to ground it at all?
    The MEGA LIVE power cord drain wire needs grounding to water in some manner. Via the outboard is the easiest.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL