Helix 12 Gen 4 correct 2D shoot thru hull transducer?

I just replaced a Helix 12 Gen 2 with a Helix 12 Gen 4 and have a 9MSIDBY splitter cable and shoot thru hull transducer in well and the external transducer that came with unit. I was looking on Humminbird site and it says to use the XP920 for Gen 2 and earlier and XP9HW for Gen 3 and 4. All I use the 2D for is depth reading when on plane. I dont know number of trans thats glued in but I suspect its the earlier one. Can I still use it or do I need to get new one. Thanks

The XP 9 20 is a 83/200 kHz 2D transducer that is standard for a first and second generation Helix.
    The XP 9 HW is a Low-Q High Wide CHIRP transducer that is the standard for a third and fourth generation Helix.

If you want the new unit to function like a new unit, change the shoot-thru to match the unit.

Using the Y cable, the shoot-thru provides Depth/2D sonar all the time, the 2D piezo in the other transducer is not electrically connected=no wires.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne. How long has the XP 9 HW been out? Is it safe to assume if its been in boat since March of 2018 that its the old one or am I gonna have to get to the tag on cable to verify? Thanks for the info. Also will I need to change transducer source in unit or will it detect it?

Quote Originally Posted by Red70 View Post
    Thanks Wayne. How long has the XP 9 HW been out? Is it safe to assume if its been in boat since March of 2018 that its the old one or am I gonna have to get to the tag on cable to verify? Thanks for the info. Also will I need to change transducer source in unit or will it detect it?
    Helix units don't "detect" a transducer except the MEGA 360.

You will have to check the bar code label on the transducer cable.

Nothing changes using the SIDB Y cable except the physical location of the 2D piezo so there is no setting to change.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Yep found number on cable. It is a XTM 920 T so guess I will be replacing. Thanks

6. Member
    I ordered a new in hull transducer XP 9 HW #710275-1 and was about to install when I noticed on package it says IN-Hull Dual Spectrum CHIRP and has a list of supported Helix units and it says Helix 12 G2N/G3N all models. Nothing about G4N. Is this just an old package? Looks like date on it is 2022-10-13. OK to go ahead and install?

Quote Originally Posted by Red70 View Post
    I ordered a new in hull transducer XP 9 HW #710275-1 and was about to install when I noticed on package it says IN-Hull Dual Spectrum CHIRP and has a list of supported Helix units and it says Helix 12 G2N/G3N all models. Nothing about G4N. Is this just an old package? Looks like date on it is 2022-10-13. OK to go ahead and install?
    There is no difference between the G3N and G4N models concerning sonar. G2N have 83/200 kHz as standard, but got a software update to give them HW CHIRP capability due to the Minnkota MDI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL