Cheap Lithium starting battery ????

Do they exist? Hopefully will have an engine soon (Yamaha 115/80 Jet, (2) Garmin 93 SV'S, LVS 32) non tournament and very little livewell use. Looking for around 100AH, and about what a 31 AGM costs ($350 range) Li Time doesn't have one and Weize is out of stock ($430.00). I have Epoch Lithium T/M batteries but their starting battery is $799.

Thanks

2. Member
    You'll need a dual purpose battery. Check with Yamaha of your model can handle the lithium.

In my experience, you get what you pay for.
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

Epoch is the cheapest I have seen but I don't have experience with it.

if you fish in the cold make sure it is self-heated and/or has low temp charging cutoff. I don't think the epoch is either, going off of memory.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | 6" Jackplate | Garmin Force @36v | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

This is the unicorn I'm waiting for. My lead acids are fine for trolling but starting + electronics would surely benefit from a lithium. I'm just unwilling to spend what they get for them. I'm considering buying two deep cycles for my 24v trolling motor and just running electronics off of one of those. I've seen posts here where guys are having success with that config.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCamilleri View Post
    You'll need a dual purpose battery. Check with Yamaha of your model can handle the lithium.

In my experience, you get what you pay for.
    Yamaha will say no. They have not gotten around yet to saying yes.

Sadly Yamaha does not know what their users out in the field know.

6. Member
    A bit more than you are willing to pay perhaps but this is from a known good brand. Drewcraft may be along to price match or to perhaps offer a better deal.

https://lithiumhub.com/product/lithi...arter-battery/

7. Member
    If no live well and no tournaments may be able to get by with 60ah all purpose battery. Will be cheaper than 100ah

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    A bit more than you are willing to pay perhaps but this is from a known good brand. Drewcraft may be along to price match or to perhaps offer a better deal.

https://lithiumhub.com/product/lithi...arter-battery/
    I know Lithium's are a different beast but a 40Ah starting battery just seems too small.

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    most batteries in that price range that are dual purpose with enough amp hours to run livewells and some electronics will not be compatible with that Yamaha

we do carry the 100ah
    MOnster and IONIC DualPurpose

and the 120ah Epoch all BBC Pricing

also we have great deals on this one by Millertech
    12100.jpg
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffblanton View Post
    I know Lithium's are a different beast but a 40Ah starting battery just seems too small.

It would seem so but what won't work for one works well for the other.

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the 40ah is a starter battery, like a race car battery , lots of power but not deep cycle and will not run live wells or graphs very long
    this is a 40ah battery and it reserves 20% for the jump start feature so 32ah left
    this was designed for off shore boats where everything runs off the house battery and the crank battery only runs nav lights and console
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post

if you fish in the cold make sure it is self-heated and/or has low temp charging cutoff. I don't think the epoch is either, going off of memory.
    Epoch has low temp and self heated.
    2010 Ranger 188vx
    175 Mercury Optimax

13. Member
    Don't cheap out on a lithium for cranking. You want one with a proven BMS

I hashed out the starting battery for awhile. I had to go with a time proven starting battery over saving a few bucks. I went with Ionic 12V 125 ah. I have to say it’s been very impressive.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s with Blue tooth for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger, Minn Kota Quest TM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    the 40ah is a starter battery, like a race car battery , lots of power but not deep cycle and will not run live wells or graphs very long
    this is a 40ah battery and it reserves 20% for the jump start feature so 32ah left
    this was designed for off shore boats where everything runs off the house battery and the crank battery only runs nav lights and console

I put that in my boat and love it. Since it stays charged my charge on the run is always feeding my trolling motor batteries.

I moved my 125ah ionic to graphs only etc.

Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post

If a cranking lithium has low temp cutoff (but no heating) that triggers when you're fishing in the cold, what happens after the motor starts and the alternator/stator/rectifier is providing charge current? Any chance of damage to the motor's charging system when that happens?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    If a cranking lithium has low temp cutoff (but no heating) that triggers when you're fishing in the cold, what happens after the motor starts and the alternator/stator/rectifier is providing charge current? Any chance of damage to the motor's charging system when that happens?
    If the battery has a low temperature cutoff that has been activated I am guessing that the motor would not start in the first place.

But if the motor did start then heat from the battery providing current to the battery and then heat from the motor providing current back to the battery should result in all being well. I would guess.

Will be interested to read more about this.

In my experience an alternator being disconnected when the motor is being run at idle is not as susceptible to being damaged as it might be if the motor is running at high power.

18. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Watch eBay for a refurbished ionic 100 or 125. That’s what I did and it’s impressive.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    most batteries in that price range that are dual purpose with enough amp hours to run livewells and some electronics will not be compatible with that Yamaha

we do carry the 100ah
    MOnster and IONIC DualPurpose

and the 120ah Epoch all BBC Pricing

also we have great deals on this one by Millertech
    12100.jpg
    I'm interested in an Ionic 125 for my 2019 Mercury ProXS 115 4-stroke. @Drewtick

Do you offer a guarantee this battery will work on my motor? My first experience with a lithium starting battery several years ago had issues with overvoltage causing irregular engine issues and graphs shutting off. Fortunately vendor took back the battery.

Also are there battery lug adapters for these Ionics?
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 06-16-2024 at 08:54 PM.