2012 pro xs 250 studdering after holeshot

2012 merc pro xs 250
    Model number 1251p73kd

My boat died at the ramp 2 weeks ago. I did not do enough research and assumed it was the fuel pumps. (I thought it was the fuel pump fuse that blew) I put both fuel pumps in the vst, took it back to the ramp, wouldn't get on plane. I then realized a coil had blew apart. I bought a quicksilver coil and it jumps on plane, accelerates 4 -5 seconds, then acts like it runs out of fuel. Begins to cut in and out. Idles fine, let it idle for a few seconds, it may get on plane before cutting out over and over.

Question 1: is it possible I didn't get something put back together inside the vst correctly? I have already put my old pumps back in, runs the exact same. (Cuts out) I did not put a new seal on the high pressure pump. Could that cause this?

Question 2: could a coil make the boat feel like it's running out of gas? Plug wires? ( I did change the plugs)

2. Member
    sounds fuel pres related do a fuel psi test when under accel on the water report back with results
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    sounds fuel pres related do a fuel psi test when under accel on the water report back with results
    I don't have a fuel pressure tester handy, are the cheapo ones on Amazon good enough for something like that?

4. Member
    Are they glycerin filled?
    Do they have precise increments?

5. Member
    I got my boat figured out over the weekend. While trouble shooting my boat dying a few weeks back, I cut out a kinked section of fuel line at the primer bulb. While putting that back together (nearly dark in a parking lot) the plastic liner had rolled up into the line causing a partial blockage. I guess it got enough fuel through to idle but ran dry at WOT.

It only needed a new coil but I had opened up Pandora's box before I realized that. Now I have new fuel pumps and plugs that I didn't "need". Silly on my part, moral of the story, check the fuel lines and bulb lol.

6. Member
    +1 on fuel lines and bulb
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................