Poison Ultima casting action

Anyone have any of the Shimano Poison Ultima casting rods? Curious as to how the actions are as there is no description of them that I can find.
    I had read that they are a fast to ex-fast taper.?

2. Member
    I have a few different models, both JDM and the USA available models. If you mention what model at I can give you some feedback, have fished with most of them.

3. Member
    Thanks. Specifically the U.S. 7’MH and the JDM 7’2”H.More curious about the 7’2” H as far as power goes along with the action. It’s rated close to 1/2-1 1/2oz.I know sometimes JDM rods tend to be over rated power-wise.
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 05-18-2024 at 09:15 AM.

4. Member
    The 7' MH, I just got and fished with the first time yesterday. I would call this rod pretty close to a typical extra fast (may basis for that is the G Loomis / Diawa scale for reference).

The 7'2" Heavy JDM is tricky. I have two of them, the newest model (full carbon handle) and the older cork handle. In theory they are the same blank, however in practice the older rod is more moderate and a bit softer in my hands, side by side. I think your assumption is correct regarding the rating. I would call both of these rods fast, not necessarily extra fast. The sweet spot, weight wise is probably more in the 1/2 oz range, maybe up to 3/4+ I think the rod will be over rated. Admittedly I don't fish that heavy of baits too often but do fish a 3/8 and 1/2 oz jig on them a lot and that's where they are most suited. With skirts / trailers etc. I say most baits I use them for fall into the 1/2 - 3/4 range and that's about as big as I'd go. Hope that helps...

5. Member
    Thanks. Yes, very helpful.