Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Triple shot side scan trolling motor installation

I wanted to add side scan to the front of my boat, but did not want to mount the transducer on the bottom of the trolling motor where it would turn with the motor and potentially bump rocks. I took some inspiration from the Humminbird 360 mounts that use a separate shaft attached to the trolling motor to mount the triple shot transducer off a little to the side (so down imaging has a clear shot to the bottom) and lined up right with the center line of the boat. Used schedule 80 PVC for the shaft and a couple of kennel clamps to secure it to the upper part of the trolling motor shaft. The bottom of the transducer is 1.5 inches above motor's blade, however the blade is only near the transducer when pointed dead backwards. I can loosen the clamps, if I want to, and turn the shaft to any setting I want. Thought that might be handy if I ever want to turn the transducer 90 degrees and use it as a forward facing horizontal sonar.

free online picture upload

free online picture hosting

photo upload link

Last edited by Bassnailer; 07-08-2020 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Update photos
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    Does it work?

3. Member
    Very nice installation. I bet it works great!

4. Member
    That's just awesome. I'm always worried about my lss1 when I get shallow and this would solve everything.
    2017 18trx, 200 proxs serial 2B401503

Very nice. You are probably going to have to fold it back when you are running across the lake. Looks like you have been doing some trailer mods too. I'm impressed.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Great idea, good looking installation

2009 ELITE 210

7. Member
    Does the trolling motor interfere with the readings when trolling straight forward? I love the idea and concept since I can’t mount this transducer on my Minn Kota Edge since my fin is not located close to the prop.

Rained all weekend, so I didn't get to try it out. As soon as I get the chance I will report back with how it works. Maybe even get some screen shots to post.

9. Member
    Nicely done
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

10. Member
    I’m pretty sure, I may be wrong but your trolling motor is going to interfere with your side imaging.

A friend of mine has been running a setup like that for years he loves it no issues at all.

Made it out this weekend. There are a lot of 10hp limit lakes close by where you can only run your trolling motor. The trolling motor mounted side imaging turned out to be very useful for these hp restricted lakes. The unit worked perfectly, zero trolling motor interference, and I was getting clean, crisp returns trolling on the lowest setting possible all the way up to the highest speed. The lake I went to was particularly stumpy, and I managed to bump into a couple. The trolling motor always hit first, and protected the side imaging transducer. My unit is flush mounted, and it's a bit of a pain removing the memory card, so I just took pictures of the screen with my phone to post. Best part of it, everything that shows up is at the front of the boat rather than behind it.

Wow! Very nicely done!

14. Member
    Nice job!

Sweet setup

16. Member
    Nicely done! It's a strange story, but I recently ended up with the same unit on the bow of my boat, but with the split shot transducer on the trolling motor. I have the triple shot transducer and have been inquiring about available mounts or how to do it (I'm a total noob to fishing electronics and just back into fishing after a loooong hiatus), but have been told that side scan wouldn't be helpful or even work well, if at all (clarity) at speeds less than 5 mph. But that sure doesn't seem to be the case at all looking at your photos, and how can that view not be helpful?

Thanks for posting this!

17. Member
    That certainly is a great mounting job. It’s also some great images. I’d have it tore up in no time flat.

18. Member
    good setup. swap out that pvc for a metal shaft and you got a pro installation.

I take it that you don't fish much grass lakes though.

Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    good setup. swap out that pvc for a metal shaft and you got a pro installation.

I take it that you don't fish much grass lakes though.
    Thanks! I fish water with a lot of milfoil, hydrilla, and lily pads quite often. I've never had any issues but I'm sure there are some grasses that would cause problems, just don't have that sort of grass anywhere I fish. I went with the PVC so it would have some give to it if I hit a stump.

20. Member
    I made a similar rig on my Fortrex, w a Humminbird mount and 360 down tube. Mounted my Lowrance total scan transducer. WORKS GREAT! I turn it 40 degrees toward the bank and see structure ahead of me! And easily can cast ahead way before I’m past it.
    Dave Swimm - Ranger Z21, Yamaha Vmax 250 HPDI
    ‘17 Shearwater X22 Hybrid, Vmax 250 SHO
    I can't leave anything stock, I can't leave well enough alone.
    I need to customize everything. I think I can improve others
    designs, sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast