Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry another key pad ?

unloaded boat off traler today went to start boat and nothing, keypad buttons for acc 1 and acc 2 worked, bilge pump and other buttons would not work either. i could not turn keypad off either. i disconnected battery, check breaker. never had this problem. Any suggestions? boat is 2011 Z20 with 250 sho.
    Thanks for the help!!!

2. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Keypad sounds like it is bad.................I am no expert on these though. I "would" invest in a backup keyswitch if I were you though...............cheap insurance to be able to crank engine. It simply plugs into the wire that the powers the keypad...............unplug from keypad and plug into keyswitch.....................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

3. Banned
    Agree on the key backup.

Welcome to the boards and your keypad should be covered under warranty.. Who is your dealer???

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos H View Post
    Agree on the key backup.

Welcome to the boards and your keypad should be covered under warranty.. Who is your dealer???
    +1. We try and sell every new Ranger that leaves here a backup keyswitch. Keypad should be covered with no issues

5. Member
    I gotta get one of those backup keys for my Z520. Had one in my Z20 but never had to use it thank God. Are you really running a Z20 with a 250 sho? How's that thing run?

6. Banned
    the new one i just purchased comes with that plug in key option switch..which i hope i never have to use.!

7. Member
    I feel your pain! My 04 521 never had an issue, the new ones seem to have a few problems.

8. Member
    Yes you need another key pad. I had a key pad problem, but in my case the motor won't shut off.
    The key pad is $200.00+

9. Member
    Thanks for the reply everyone, will be trying new keypad and purchase key option. cajunsmitty boat runs excellent pushing 72mph with all gear half fuel. thanks again everyone!!!

10. Member
    Havent seen a backup keyswitch, sounds like i should look into one. can someone explain a little further? i have a new to me 2008 z21 but havent messed with the keypad at all yet so i am a little unfamiliar with how it is put together.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    There is a plug on the back of the keypad that you will unplug and plug into a key switch. Nothing else on the boat will work but it will allow you to start and run your motor. Normally run $50-75 depending on motor brand. Cheap insurance that will get you back to the trailer.

12. Member
    I have a 2010 Z522 with a 300 Verado. I had a similar problem last spring. Engine would stat and run but livewells, bilge pump, nav lights were inop. Looking at the wiring diagram, I found the pads on the dash and the bow are in parallel with each other and both pads get power from the control module under the dash. I checked with a voltmeter and I had 12.5 volts to the control module. My local Ranger dealer could not get to the boat for 5 or 6 weeks. I called Ranger and they put me in touch with an engineer who knew about the keypad system. One thing the engineer had me try was try to actate my liveweels and lights from the bow pad. Still inop. The chances of bothpad being out would be extremely small. With his help, I also did some voltage checks at the dash keypad. After reporting the results back to Ranger, they determined it was the module under the dash. Since my boat was built, he said the replacement module would also require a new keypad in the dash. Ranger sent the parts out and they trusted me to install them correctly. I returned the original parts back to Rangers warranty dept. I was extremely happy they did not force me to take back to the dealer. They were extremely busy and 5 or 6 weeks around here is half the summer. Good luck!!!

13. Member
    update on keypad. Went to local dealer got new keypad installed and it seemed to fix the problem. Thanks again for the help. Also purchased key switch for extra security!

14. Banned
    MI, good info, thanks for the troubleshooting info.

V1969, good news!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunch Boats View Post
    There is a plug on the back of the keypad that you will unplug and plug into a key switch. Nothing else on the boat will work but it will allow you to start and run your motor. Normally run $50-75 depending on motor brand. Cheap insurance that will get you back to the trailer.
    Thanks!

16. Member
    Mine went out. 2006 z21 found out I had a bad cell in cranking battery causing low voltage. I replaced the pad with a new one Put a new battery in with not enough cold cranking amps and had more problems with new pad. Replaced battery aging with larger battery. I have not had a problem since.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionImpossible View Post
    I have a 2010 Z522 with a 300 Verado. I had a similar problem last spring. Engine would stat and run but livewells, bilge pump, nav lights were inop. Looking at the wiring diagram, I found the pads on the dash and the bow are in parallel with each other and both pads get power from the control module under the dash. I checked with a voltmeter and I had 12.5 volts to the control module. My local Ranger dealer could not get to the boat for 5 or 6 weeks. I called Ranger and they put me in touch with an engineer who knew about the keypad system. One thing the engineer had me try was try to actate my liveweels and lights from the bow pad. Still inop. The chances of bothpad being out would be extremely small. With his help, I also did some voltage checks at the dash keypad. After reporting the results back to Ranger, they determined it was the module under the dash. Since my boat was built, he said the replacement module would also require a new keypad in the dash. Ranger sent the parts out and they trusted me to install them correctly. I returned the original parts back to Rangers warranty dept. I was extremely happy they did not force me to take back to the dealer. They were extremely busy and 5 or 6 weeks around here is half the summer. Good luck!!!
    you need to find a new dealer!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunch Boats View Post
    How much would one be for a Yamaha SHO?
    2012 Ranger Z521
    250 Yamaha Sho
    Pro-Staff
    Picasso Lures
    Smelly Jelly

19. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Same price. Key switch doesn't have anything to do with the engine Sir. It simply plugs in to the lead coming into the Keypad and allows the engine to be started....................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

20. Member
    I have a 2009 z520, just bought a backup switch just incase my touch pad goes out. But not sure which plug to disconnect for the switch, any pictures or vedioes.
    Thanks
    09 Z520 Ranger
    Hds 10
    Hds 8
    250 Merc
    Power Pole
    Minn Kota Fortrex 101
    Structure Scan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast