First Nine holes in 7 months!

Finally got out after 8 surgeries on four fingers, both carpal tunnels and both elbows with the last being 3 months ago.
    We didn't get a warm up much more than 10 minutes, but managed to hit the ball better than expected and parred three of the nine holes!
    Wow! Much better than expected, but still do not have a full grip in the left hand where 3 trigger finger releases were performed and I am told that it will be 6-9 months from surgery for it to be as good as it is going to be.
    I hit irons close to full distance but usually one iron more than normal to be safe. Several times past the pin or just over the green. That is a good sign till I get to full strength and obtain some consistancy.

It feels abnormal to grip as I am able now but I am set on trying to learn to swing with it the best I can.
    I only hope to improve with each round and more swings as able. It is a process that will take time and effort.
    I have never had anything like this to interrupt my golf game, but here it is and I will deal with it.

These issues came from out of the blue with no warning which I first noticed in November when my left hand came loose from the driver.
    Compensating with a firmer grip in the right hand only caused issues with it later I am sure.

Appreciate every round you get to play and good health while you have it.

2. Member
    Glad you got back out there! I hope you keep improving and can get back to something that feels normal again! Good luck!

3. Member
    That’s quite the turn around time and impressive how good you played while not at full strength.

here I played for the first time this season on Friday (and only 5th time since I picked it back up last year after a 8 year hiatus), scored +12 on 9 holes thinking it was decent, 3 pars would make me feel like I just caught a 6lber
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Well, played my first 18 holes Friday after taking time off to heal, rain for 3 weeks, and I would rather fish than golf at least for now.
    43/46-but rehits on 4 of my drives with the driver.
    Still not so bad but very sore the next day in both hands.
    Still cannot close my left hand on the grip fully and get no feedback since no feel.
    Driver is the worst-but if I slow down it seems to do okay.
    Got mostly full distance on short irons through the 7 iron. Very Happy with that. And chipping and putting was not too bad.
    Still going to therapy twice a week. Thinking about accupuncture next.
    Once a week will be plenty till the hands can take the beating.
    Went today to look at larger grips that are tapered towards the end of the club. Jumbo grips for all irons and the driver just to see if it helps my grip and relieves some of the vibration to my hands.
    Hope they help!
    Headed to lake fork tomorrow. Buddy caught an almost 10 pounder today! That would be me shooting an 73!

5. Member
    Glad you got back out, sounds like it reignited your desire to play.

I haven’t played since mid-April due to a couple surgeries, have another 3-4 weeks until I can take full swings. Next week will start putting and chipping so hopefully that part of the game comes back quickly.

6. Member
    It did fire me up to have some success at regaining my game. Swing got back on track by slowing down and taking it easy. That part felt good. Loss of feel in left hand really is messing with my head as it was/is such an important feeling for golf. You know when you flush a swing and that feeling that you know the result will be good. I will see what I can get, but I am concerned that part may never recover. It will take a lot of time, effort and prayers.

Got the new Jumbo grips on the irons and the driver. They feel great. DriTek leather look on the irons really look and feel good. They are my favorite grip and have used them for quite some time.

Fished yesterday with a good friend on a cloudy warm day with a nice cooling breeze at times. He caught a near 6 pounder and lost a 5 when it broke his line on a tree. I caught 10 or so small ones. Lost my grip on two hook sets and dropped the 6 pounder when it flopped as I brought it out of the net-all with the left hand. I haven't had that happen in the fishing I have done since surgery.

Fishing tournament tomorrow on Lake Fork. Golf club course is closed this week for aeration.
    So fishing it is and then playing 18 on Saturday. Hopefully I can do a little range work friday p.m. when the course re-opens.

Scary to think about the possiblity of losing the ability to golf or fish! It will happen someday-but I am going down swinging!

7. Member
    Keep that positive attitude! Fishing Fork always brings the risk of catching a big fish.

8. Member
    Thanks. I am working on it. Kinda like the fishing-you have to believe!
    7.28 is my biggest this year on Fork

9. Member
    my second 18 with my wife and another couple. All greens had been aerated and sanded.
    87 with one birdie and one second drive mulligan.
    Had my left hand give me some trouble, especially on no. 9 but it came back when I slowed my swing down.
    Birdied 16. Great drives on 17 and 18 but bogied both.
    Hit 9 fairways and 5 greens.
    Happy with results, but not so happy with the feel.
    Had a good time with the wife and the other couple.
    Good to be out on the course and having fun again.

10. Member
    The objective is to have fun, enjoy who you are playing with, and maybe, just maybe, string together a few shots and shoot a decent scores. Some of my highest scores have been my most fun days, same as fishing.