Chatterbait Rods. Composite?

I am looking at buying a chatterbait rod. Specifically the AG IKE series Delay rods. Its 7'6" long, Moderate fast action. I have the same rod for my Jerkbaits, except its the 6'8", and it works awesome for Jerkbaits. The 7'6" IKE Delay rod is a Medium power. Any suggestions are welcome.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels
    Favorite saying "JUST 1 MORE".

2. Member
    Give Alex a call at ALX rods and ask him about the Rumble. It's a great chatterbait or spinnerbait rod. I love mine and have 3 of them now that I'm using for any single hook moving bait.

3. Member
    The only thing that would worry me about the rod you are looking at would be the Medium power rating. Most rods designed for chatterbaits are Medium Heavy or Heavy power rods since you need that power to get a good hookset since the rods are composite and therefore softer in action. The extra power also works better for ripping through vegetation. The best chatterbait rod I have used was a Shimano Expride 7'2" MH Glass composite, but I love ALX rods and even though I have not used the Rumble, I'm sure it's a fantastic rod.

4. Member
    I wouldn't use that rod for bladed jigs. It's going to be too light, especially if you fish grass.
    I use a Millerods blade freak for chatterbaits and I absolutely love it. It's a 7'6" fast action rated 3/8ths to 1oz. I'd try to find a rod in your price range around those specs.
    I've tried glass for chatterbaits and hated it. They lacked the umph I wanted for pulling fish out of grass.

5. Member
    Dobyns Champion 734

6. Member
    Medium with moderate fast action seems like it would be a little light to me. Best rod I've used has been the St. Croix legend tournament bass rip-n-chatter. Heavy power moderate action with the iAct glass in it. Awesome rod.

7. Member
    Dobyns 736or 765

Regardless of the brand you choose, I really do not advise a medium powered rod for chatterbaits. Assuming you are using real ChatterBaits, you are working with a bait that has heavy wire jig hook. It needs a more backbone than a medium to effectively drive the hook.

Part two on a chatterbait - you need a rod that is going to load on the bite so you don't rip the bait away from the fish. The rod should give the fish a chance to take the bait. This also plays into to working the bait. It needs to be able to swim naturally and not be overpowered by the rod. Chatterbaits shine when they can hunt, kick, etc... and too stiff of a rod tip doesn't let the bait perform naturally.

The only way we were able to accomplish this to our satisfaction was a composite blank. I know there are some other composite models out there, but in testing and comparing, they were underpowered for our liking. We settled on a heavy backend with the equivalent of MH crankbait rod tip in the ZOLO Rumble. I'm happy to say that I know several of our competitors have purchased our Rumble to duplicate it. That tells me we did something right.

I really, really like the Powell Endurance CB rods for this. Perfect action, incredibly lightweight, overall just a joy to fish and at a great price of $150. Both the 705 CB and 755 CB are composite sticks at 7'0" and 7'5" respectively. The 725 CB is a mod-fast graphite stick at 7'2" with similar action.

I still need to get my hands on some ALX rods! I've not bought any new ones for a while now but they're on the short list when that happens!

I agree with not going with M power for a Chatterbait, though you might be OK with that Abu....Abu rods tend to fish a power heavier than their rating in my experience (so I'd expect more in line with others' MH out of that one), though I've also never used any in the Ike series so that may not hold true there.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    The only thing that would worry me about the rod you are looking at would be the Medium power rating. Most rods designed for chatterbaits are Medium Heavy or Heavy power rods since you need that power to get a good hookset since the rods are composite and therefore softer in action. The extra power also works better for ripping through vegetation. The best chatterbait rod I have used was a Shimano Expride 7'2" MH Glass composite, but I love ALX rods and even though I have not used the Rumble, I'm sure it's a fantastic rod.
    Is that Expride composite or full glass? Anything I'm finding it just says glass. I'm looking to replace a couple Favorite Fishing Phat Glass composite rods. Hands down my favorite chatterbait rods but always open to looking at new stuff. They are a little on the heavy side.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

11. Scraps
    I don't see anything in the Delay Series that I'd choose. The Pro and JLee Series has a couple, a MH-moderate is what I'd look for. I use composite Powell 705 and 725cb's which are basically spinnerbait rods. They feel like straight graphite but fish like a composite.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I really, really like the Powell Endurance CB rods for this. Perfect action, incredibly lightweight, overall just a joy to fish and at a great price of $150. Both the 705 CB and 755 CB are composite sticks at 7'0" and 7'5" respectively. The 725 CB is a mod-fast graphite stick at 7'2" with similar action.

I still need to get my hands on some ALX rods! I've not bought any new ones for a while now but they're on the short list when that happens!

I agree with not going with M power for a Chatterbait, though you might be OK with that Abu....Abu rods tend to fish a power heavier than their rating in my experience (so I'd expect more in line with others' MH out of that one), though I've also never used any in the Ike series so that may not hold true there.
    I've tried over 25 different rods just for throwing chatterbaits, and the powell endurance crankbait 7'2MH is by far and away my favorite, regardless of price. I'd check one out.