Motor not peeing

2019 115 ProXS 4-stroke 2B685388

1st outting of the year. Was winterized by me with the basics. It had a 100 hr tuneup last year in June. Plugs, impeller, thermostat and IAC replacement by the local shop.

So motor and it died instantly. Normal for 1st start after sitting all winter in my experience. 2nd turn and fired right up. After about 30 secs or so, I realize it's not peeing. Look at the water pressure gauge and it's showing 5-7 PSI. Making sure the gauge isn't stuck. I shut motor off and see it drops. Restart motor and see the gauge climb to max of 7 or so and settles at 5 PSI. Still no pee. Loaded back up onto the trailer so I can get a better look. I found the pee hole is clogged with maybe pollen. Poked eight through with a tiny stick. It goes in about 1.5" until I feel resistance. Don't know if it's a bend or what. I also see water on the stick, so good sign.

Thinking I fixed it. Relaunch and same issue, no pee.

So could it be the impeller? Or a hose is clogged with who knows what.

2. Member
    I wonder if the clog cleared out on my drive home or maybe it was just a slow dribble. You can see droplets forming at the end and see a water stain below.

3. Fishing is a Passion
    Mud-dauber made a home in the hole, happens all the time when something sits for a while. Clean the area out and should be good
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can also probe it with a small wire while running on muffs, etc. Often helps to get the crap washed out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I hear weedeater line can work well too. So picking up some of that to try.

Does using the flush hose port. Can that work too?

Maybe a can of compress air with a long tube into the pee hole.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post

Maybe a can of compress air with a long tube into the pee hole.
    Blowing backwards through the fitting simply forces debris back up into the hose, where it can again return to the fitting. If you're going to blow backwards, disconnect other end of the hose so you can EXPEL whatever little chunks, critter or critter poop is stuck in there.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I bought the motor manual bc I've wanted one for a while. It helped me figure out the route of the tell-tale. Fortunately I didn't have to disconnect the end near the thermostat on top to blow out. The weed Wacker line did it's job in clearing the hose from the open end. Only thing I see wrong now is it seems my water PSI is telling me there's less than 5 at idle. I could have sworn it was higher than that but the pee is strong. No overheating issues after 1 outing.

Is there any reason why I can't plug the peehole when I winterize to prevent this again?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Is there any reason why I can't plug the peehole when I winterize to prevent this again?
    No. Will need to remember and remove plug in spring.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Don is right, I keep a bottom bouncer in my splash well to unclog it on the water. Best bet is to take it off and blow it out so whatever is in there comes out. I used to get small stones in there and the wire would fee it so it peed, but it was just a temp fix and stones will go right back to the hole and clog it again in a trip or two. If it was just mud or scum, wire might fix it.
    Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor