Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Yes, on previous testing I swapped coil, air and fuel injector and no change was noted.

2. Member
    Looking at those plugs you certainly have one of the following, low compression, bad reeds,weak/no spark or fueling issue on that cylinder. One or more of your tests was done incorrectly.

Your obviously getting fuel by the way the plug looks as that's not lean burn. Looks like a lack of compression or air.

3. Member
    By reading the plug, I agree with you smoken86. Either lack of air in the mixture or weak spark.
    The issue with that is, that to troubleshoot spark issue I swapped coils, change plugs with the correct gap and also verify spark jump.
    Compression was also verified, don't remember the exact reading of that cylinder, but all the reading came on the 80-90psi range.

What is only pending to perform, is the removal of the reed cage. I did inspect the reeds with a mirror and with a borescope. They are seated on the reed cage, meaning that there shouldn't be any leakage.
    Now the question is, a missing piece, outside of the sealing surface, could cause the issue? I assume that it won't, because the reed is sealing the passage, but someone else could clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by r0b3rt View Post
    By reading the plug, I agree with you smoken86. Either lack of air in the mixture or weak spark.
    The issue with that is, that to troubleshoot spark issue I swapped coils, change plugs with the correct gap and also verify spark jump.
    Compression was also verified, don't remember the exact reading of that cylinder, but all the reading came on the 80-90psi range.

What is only pending to perform, is the removal of the reed cage. I did inspect the reeds with a mirror and with a borescope. They are seated on the reed cage, meaning that there shouldn't be any leakage.
    Now the question is, a missing piece, outside of the sealing surface, could cause the issue? I assume that it won't, because the reed is sealing the passage, but someone else could clarify.
    If that is accurate, you need a Mota sir
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    "Good" motor was around the same range.

"Good" motor was around the same range.
    No sir, 115 to 120
    Must be checked with:
    fully charged battery
    motor warmed up
    all plugs removed
    throttle in the WOT position
    all cylinders must checked for comparison as well to spec

If it was done correctly either the gauge is inaccurate or there is a motor problem
    One of the problems with gauges reading low is the owners replace the valve core with one for tire valve stems, they are different..
    Last edited by lpugh; 01-29-2024 at 09:44 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Standard 225 Optimax of that vintage should be in the 90-110 psi range, when tested per the procedure noted above (and in the FAQ Section). 15 psi Maximum variance.

Those readings, if all in the 80-90 psi range, would indicate that one of the following is true:

-Gauge inaccurate
    -Test Performed Incorrectly
    -Engine worn beyond service tolerances
    -Head Gasket or Direct Injector Leakage present.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Redid the compression test. Now I did it after idling the engine for about 15min. All cylinder came above 90psi.

9. Member
    proceed with repairs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Did you ever find the cause? Pull the reeds yet?
    2011 202 Elite - 225 Pro XS

11. Member
    I haven't found the root cause yet. I ordered both intake gasket to pull the intake and inspect the reeds from the inside.
    Waiting to have a chance to do it.

12. Member
    Removed the reed plate.. All of them were complete and completely sealed against the reed cage.

13. Member
    Removed the reed plate.. All of them were complete and completely sealed against the reed cage.
    Well that's good news I guess. On to the next hunch.
    2011 202 Elite - 225 Pro XS

14. Member
    need to isolate problem cyl
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    need to isolate problem cyl
    Agree. I would run cylinder cancellation tests under load on the water, with Diacom software.

16. Member
    Hi, just to post an update on the troubleshooting. The engine was scanned and we get the following codes.8503979129354052636.jpg

We are going to look into the injector and pilot tube. None of them were triggering the engine alarm, but it does sound when key on.

17. Member
    Just another update and probably considering this issue as solved.

Since my previous message, that the port ecm has the injector 4 open fault. We did a few things, try to clear the fault, swap injector, verify engine harness, ecm plugs and via ecm actuate the injector. Fault can't be cleared and injectors worked when actuated via the ecm.
    Our understanding at this point is that it has to be some sort of issue with the ecm. We did another test, we removed the ecm from the port engine, which was the "bad" one and install on the port engine the ecm from the starboard.
    Starboard ecm on port engine. no injector failure. At that point I'm convinced that we have a bad ecm and I try to borrow a local one to test it on the starboard engine. I wasn't able to get one locally to borrow and test, so I decided to put the port ecm, the "bad" one on the starboard engine to confirm that the low power condition jumps to the starboard engine.
    For my surprise, the fault did not jump to the engine, fault was cleared and both engines are running fine now.

I could not think on any logical way that it could be fixed alone, the only thing that make sense to me is that the time that the ecm was out of the engine without power (+48hrs), clear the inyector 4 open fault and let the ecm operate as it should.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Likely either a corroded pin/connection OR a bad pigtail for that #4 injector.

Replacement pigtail ends are available for this type of repair.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    I thought about that, but when the fault was present, we were able to actuate the injector. Maybe the ecm has a current or voltage value to determine an open circuit and we were below that.

Were can I find a ecm pin out? I would like to measure the impedance of that cable from the ecm to the injector pig tail.

20. Member
    wiring diagrams should be in serv manuals

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast