Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WAWI View Post
    Because we need more boats going 85 so we can have a couple more wrecks to talk about.
    Way more too it than just speed. With the way people are loading these boats down these days you need a 300hp to run in the low 70s in many cases.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    What year was your SHO?

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    That was an early year, they had issues when the first came out but those have been fixed for a long time now. The SHOs made in the past 7-8 years are easily the best 4 stroke outboards ever built.

Northern Cincinnati Ohio Close Enough like it or not its where I am
    Yeah Early year blues.

Early 2002's new and improved Honda Goldwings had an outstanding new motorcycle. You removed all the Tupperware and it looked like a sport bike design. Rode like it was on a rail. First 2 production years had frame issues. Not many units but still. I waited till 2004 and no issues ever.

My point the latest and greatest sometimes isn't (((no matter who makes it))). I never buy first year anything in most cases. I have and it did work out but If I can avoid it I wait till the third model year. Seems to work best.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    That was an early year, they had issues when the first came out but those have been fixed for a long time now. The SHOs made in the past 7-8 years are easily the best 4 stroke outboards ever built.
    It is difficult to recommend a Yamaha with two bad motors when I have had 3 mercs with over 1000 hours of use and not a single repair. Just maintenance. OBTW - based on the serial number my 2014 SHO had the updated thrust bearing.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    It is difficult to recommend a Yamaha with two bad motors when I have had 3 mercs with over 1000 hours of use and not a single repair. Just maintenance. OBTW - based on the serial number my 2014 SHO had the updated thrust bearing.
    If you would have had an early model Optimax you likely wouldn't be saying that about Mercury. The early Mercury 4 strokes had problems as well.

7. Member
    If you would have had an early model Optimax you likely wouldn't be saying that about Mercury. The early Mercury 4 strokes had problems as well.
    Still have problems

We aren’t aware we of any significant recurring problems with either brand today.

Quote Originally Posted by Verkeith View Post
    Still have problems

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We aren’t aware we of any significant recurring problems with either brand today.
    Personally know guys that are having issues with Merc 4 strokes

10. Member
    I can't stand it, got to put my 2 cents in. I have had Mercs and a 250 SHO. I've never had a Merc 4 stroke so I want to be transparent before I make my comment. I've just read to much about the new Merc 4 strokes that make me vote SHO. I know it is said the new Merc lower units are more effecient and that is why you have to drop down several pitches on your prop from a Merc 250 ProXs 2 stroke to the 4 stroke but it still gives me pause that I would go from an engine that pulls a 25p prop to a new engine of the same HP rating and have to run a 23p prop. I also see that the new Merc lower units have had some reliability issues. Maybe it is all fixed now, maybe not. My 250 SHO on a Skeeter FX21 was a beast, pulling a 25P prop with unreal power. I'd love to see a shootout with a 250 SHO vrs a new 250 Merc 4 stroke on the exact same hull. In other words eliminate all the variables. Run the hull with one motor set up for best performance and then swap motors out. My money would be on the SHO:-) I might lose my money but the Yamaha is a more mature design, they have had 14 years to work out the bugs and improve it.

11. Member
    x

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Odd place to ask about repowering your Phoenix, but BassCat does know all
    Because I am a previous Basscat Puma FTD owner and value other Basscat owner's opinion. I only went to a Pheonix because of the steal of a deal I got from a friend getting rid of his much newer Pheonix because of hip problems. I've always said I will be back in a Basscat just as soon as a good opportunity presents itself. You can view some of my previous post, but I've always said that Basscat beats Pheonix from a quality of build and craftsmanship perspective. But the ride of the Pheonix 721 ProXP is amazing!! I asked the same question on the Pheonix page.
    Last edited by jemccall; 05-29-2024 at 07:08 AM.

13. Member
    It seems to me there’s a lot of mercury 4s owners spending lots$ trying to get the most from their motors. Getting prop rite and not getting enough max rpm’s. I have had 3 mercury 4s and not one of them could I get above 5900 rpm’s and yes I have run a lot props.Mark Croxton just lives up the road from me and have used him for a lot years. I don’t hear Yamaha owners bitch about this as much as the mercury guys and gals. I’ve have been running mercury all my life but I think if I ever get a another I will like to try the sho.
    just my 2 cents worth. I run 2022 Basscat caracal

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERNYANKEE View Post
    It seems to me there’s a lot of mercury 4s owners spending lots$ trying to get the most from their motors. Getting prop rite and not getting enough max rpm’s. I have had 3 mercury 4s and not one of them could I get above 5900 rpm’s and yes I have run a lot props.Mark Croxton just lives up the road from me and have used him for a lot years. I don’t hear Yamaha owners bitch about this as much as the mercury guys and gals. I’ve have been running mercury all my life but I think if I ever get a another I will like to try the sho.
    just my 2 cents worth. I run 2022 Basscat caracal
    Honestly I think the prop issue I more about bass cat than the engine. I know plenty of guys in other rigs that run whatever came on it. Bass Cats seem a little touchy. Mine was miss propped from the factory. In their defense it was covid year and I think they were putting on the closest they had to get the boat out.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jemccall View Post
    Because I am a previous Basscat Puma FTD owner and value other Basscat owner's opinion. I only went to a Pheonix because of the steal of a deal I got from a friend getting rid of his much newer Pheonix because of hip problems. I've always said I will be back in a Basscat just as soon as a good opportunity presents itself. You can view some of my previous post, but I've always said that Basscat beats Pheonix from a quality of build and craftsmanship perspective. But the ride of the Pheonix 721 ProXP is amazing!! I asked the same question on the Pheonix page.
    They are sensitive on this page as you know. My tournament partner runs a 919 pheonix and it's the best played out under 20 foot boat ibhave been in and the ride is excellent. I fish out of a 721 some also and it's a great rig.

after many Mercury's my next one will have a Yamaha
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12