Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Understood, I’m going to put it back together with the new seals and recheck the compression. Any tips on re installing the head cover? Surface preparation and/or additional lubrication?
    Last edited by Horsquatch; 05-23-2024 at 06:23 PM.

2. Member
    Also are there any additives I should consider running through the system to help extend the life a bit?

3. Member
    head bolts are one use only , replacement recommended
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Thanks Joe. Is there a Mercury part number for the head bolts, and Do you know the torque specs for them?
    Last edited by Horsquatch; 05-24-2024 at 07:08 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsquatch View Post
    Thanks Joe. Is there a Mercury part number for the head bolts, and Do you know the torque specs for them?
    It would be worth your effort/ time/ investment to buy the service book for your SN# from Don. I've been this deep and deeper into mine as well and the book answers all these questions. The head bolts are torque to yield/ "TTY" which means they have a torque value in inch or foot lbs plus an additional, 90 ,180 degree turn or some other specific specification degree turn as well as a sequence. EDIT - The book would have those details. I consider it an easy job with the right detailed specifications.

6. Member
    Thanks TRP! I have the manual and I will definitely dig into it

7. Member
    8m0045380 x 40 brace your self $$$$
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsquatch View Post
    Understood, I’m going to put it back together with the new seals and recheck the compression. Any tips on re installing the head cover? Surface preparation and/or additional lubrication?
    If you put it back together like it is you didn't accomplish anything. I would pull that piston hone that cylinder and put new set of rings on it then put back together.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12