Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    One thing to consider ---The Coast guard is not the Navy , so they do not have the BIG bases with all their great perks ! Just something to think about . The Big naval bases have everything a city has , Big exchange, commissary(grocery store? bowling alleys, golf courses, movie theatres , nice restaurants etc etc etc.
    No but they are usually near another services base and are allowed to use all of the amenities.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

The Coast Guard is good and really takes care of their people, the shipboard {CUTTER} Coast Guardsman do not stay on the ship while in homeport except for duty personnel unlike the navy where unmarried sailors stay aboard. Also, they have a lessor sea service requirement to make rate {Rank in the other non-sea going services} so they have more land time. He should be okay joining the Coast Guard. Oh and hopefully he is over six feet tall otherwise he would not be able to walk back to shore if the Cutter broke down or sank. It's a Navy vs Coast Guard thing.

How about fish and game warden?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

4. Member
    The Coast Guard also covers inland waterways/rivers and the Great Lakes.

5. Member
    The Coast Guard falls under DHS, but can fall under DOD in certain situations. I rarely heard anyone not talk positively about them, they do their mission well. Based on his job, whether he stays in 4 or 30, he can be set up for life with the right training. They take care of their own from what I have seen, and not every job is ship-based, especially the more senior you get.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    No but they are usually near another services base and are allowed to use all of the amenities.
    True but still don't have the same benefits , even when share with a Navy base they get the old barracks after Sailors move into the new ones . Not trying be a jerk just telling it like it is, I lived on Naval bases so I have seen first hand. While we at it the Marines deal with some of that too when stationed on a Navy Base. Not way it should be but it is. With that being said I always thought Coast Guard would be awesome job.
    1989 184DC Champion
    1990 Johnson 150GT

Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    True but still don't have the same benefits , even when share with a Navy base they get the old barracks after Sailors move into the new ones . Not trying be a jerk just telling it like it is, I lived on Naval bases so I have seen first hand. While we at it the Marines deal with some of that too when stationed on a Navy Base. Not way it should be but it is. With that being said I always thought Coast Guard would be awesome job.
    You do se my avitar correct? Living spaces were not in the perks mentioned and it is not quite like you remember now.

8. Member
    My brother was in in the mid 70's. 1 four year hitch in St Joesph MI. Still has lifelong friends from that time. His middle son is on his third stay in Alaska, along with 3 different stints in MI, and a couple on the east coast. He is in it for the long haul, which at this point is only a couple more years. His wife was also in, but after triplets, she finished the gig she was on and is now home-schooling since they have been bouncing around. I wanted to enlist when I got out of school(87)but not only were they very selective, but I was also a mess at the time......should have talked to an ARMY recruiter.

SEMPER PARDUS

9. Member
    I'm retired Coast Guard. Was in for 21 years retired at 41. I did one tour on a ship. Ship duty is dependent on specialty on how often you have ship duty. Went everywhere always wanted to go. Had a fabulous wife who like me wanted to see places. Best thing I've done in my life career wise. Please message me with any questions I may be able to answer.

10. Member
    The main thing is to know what you want to do in the Coast Gaurd. The more you excel and advance in rank the more you will have a successful career.
    Take advantage of every opportunity available.
    I served six years in the Navy and I went through every class or course offered and I advanced rapidly. Of course that was in the late 60's through 74.
    I hope he likes it!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    You do se my avitar correct? Living spaces were not in the perks mentioned and it is not quite like you remember now.
    Yes I do , thanks for your service. I lived on bases as a kid, I also served in the Air Force.
    1989 184DC Champion
    1990 Johnson 150GT

12. Member
    the CG was a great stepping stone for me ! after serving a 4 year hitch I was able to use my time to obtain a Captains license and make a career out of the Maritime industry ! the money is great compared to military wages !

13. Member
    I spent four years on a nuclear powered submarine and spent most of every year out to sea. Being wiser now, I wish I would have joined a service where their vessels would run out of fuel. Joking, not joking

14. Member
    That type of decision has to be made by the person..........all we can do is advise.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    How about fish and game warden?
    We had a chief that was one At T.I. when I was home ported there in the middle sixties...
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsh Skeeter View Post
    I spent four years on a nuclear powered submarine and spent most of every year out to sea. Being wiser now, I wish I would have joined a service where their vessels would run out of fuel. Joking, not joking
    My wife's cousin was on a Nuke sub. Couldnt imagine staying under water 6 months at a time. He'd come home and lay out in the sun all day long
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

I'm currently in my 22cd year in the Coast Guard as an Electronics Technician. I'm an E8 (Senior Chief) out at the CG's largest training center in Petaluma California. You are welcome to reach out to me if you or your grandson have any questions. I briefly read through some of the responses here and there seems to be quite a bit of mis-leading information or just misinformation all together. There are a lot of bonuses being thrown around right now. For instance, sign up for four years with a guaranteed "A" School for marine electronics and it comes with $65,000. There are also re-enlistment bonuses for your second and third four-year commitment. I'd be happy to talk to you guys about the possibilities and career options. Rest assured.....We are definitely not downsizing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    I'm currently in my 22cd year in the Coast Guard as an Electronics Technician. I'm an E8 (Senior Chief) out at the CG's largest training center in Petaluma California. You are welcome to reach out to me if you or your grandson have any questions. I briefly read through some of the responses here and there seems to be quite a bit of mis-leading information or just misinformation all together. There are a lot of bonuses being thrown around right now. For instance, sign up for four years with a guaranteed "A" School for marine electronics and it comes with $65,000. There are also re-enlistment bonuses for your second and third four-year commitment. I'd be happy to talk to you guys about the possibilities and career options. Rest assured.....We are definitely not downsizing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

Serious question - is there any place for an 18 year old 5'2" 100 lb Vietnamese girl in the CG or other services? I would think they would get flat run over and I worry about her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast