Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any wire that carries DATA (Smartcraft Cables, NMEA-2000 Cables, transducer cables, Ethernet Cables) crossing each other.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    I'd actually look close at the GROUNDS of any and all electrical equipment. Making sure that all connected equipment terminates its ground at the same spot...and with no loops, etc...On my Ranger, there is a ground block under the helm that then runs back to the battery on a larger cable. Be sure all the devices have their ground terminating at something like this.

Communication errors in computer systems can manifest themselves when the ground potential between devices is different.
    In the case of NEMA2000, there is a power injection somewhere in the network, and power and ground traverse the cable. The cable is shielded, and the shields should all be connected on pin 1. This should prevent injection of noise...but could also be a problem if one of the Tee's or connectors failed.

If I were debugging your situation...I would be looking at every single NEMA 2000 drop Tee, the network power injection, and all the device power and ground connections...

FWIW, I don't think any of the Lowrance ethernet cables are shielded, but they should be twisted pairs inside the cable, to the ethernet spec, and thus limit the susceptibility to noise and emission of radiated noise. Ethernet is a very low amplitude signal, so by definition doesn't radiate much EMI noise.

Should you need to have any data lines cross in your implementation, crossing them at right angles is best...bundling them next to eachother for a long run would be worst case scenario, followed closely by passing one through a loop of another.

SmartCraft cables, I am less familiar with, but i think they too are twisted pair.

Again, NEMA2K is shielded, so should operate in relative immunity to interference...but if the shield connection is broken somewhere...all bets are off.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    I'd actually look close at the GROUNDS of any and all electrical equipment. Making sure that all connected equipment terminates its ground at the same spot...and with no loops, etc...On my Ranger, there is a ground block under the helm that then runs back to the battery on a larger cable. Be sure all the devices have their ground terminating at something like this.

Communication errors in computer systems can manifest themselves when the ground potential between devices is different.
    In the case of NEMA2000, there is a power injection somewhere in the network, and power and ground traverse the cable. The cable is shielded, and the shields should all be connected on pin 1. This should prevent injection of noise...but could also be a problem if one of the Tee's or connectors failed.

If I were debugging your situation...I would be looking at every single NEMA 2000 drop Tee, the network power injection, and all the device power and ground connections...

FWIW, I don't think any of the Lowrance ethernet cables are shielded, but they should be twisted pairs inside the cable, to the ethernet spec, and thus limit the susceptibility to noise and emission of radiated noise. Ethernet is a very low amplitude signal, so by definition doesn't radiate much EMI noise.

Should you need to have any data lines cross in your implementation, crossing them at right angles is best...bundling them next to eachother for a long run would be worst case scenario, followed closely by passing one through a loop of another.

SmartCraft cables, I am less familiar with, but i think they too are twisted pair.

Again, NEMA2K is shielded, so should operate in

relative immunity to interference...but if the shield connection is broken somewhere...all bets are off.
    sorry for the tardy response and many thanks for your detailed 'check this' list. I will begin going through each of these suggestions ... def hoping to find out what's causing my sporadic but continuous issues.
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 05-26-2024 at 11:05 PM.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    BassinLA13... Please avoid Hi-Jacking threads such as this one. Sorry, I didn't even realize you had jumped in on someone else's thread until I read back through many of the posts.

Best to open your OWN separate thread.

All here: There is no reason, need, or benefit to having TWO NMEA-2000 (Gateway Equipped) Smartcraft Devices on your network. This WILL, without a doubt, result in some difficulties as the network will see identical info from separate sources for the same engine.

And I agree- the "Ride" system appears to be hi-jacking info, if not addresses.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12