Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    This thread got me curious and I went to Loomis' site to check out the GLX and IMX rods.

WOW. They seem to be confused about where the hook keeper is supposed to go.

For many years it's always been on the left side of the rod. Doesn't matter if it's a casting or spinning rod. It's on the left or port side of the rod looking at it.

And now it's on the top or bottom of the rod. If you go to Loomis' website to look at their GLX or IMX rods you'll see the hook keeper in different positions on the rod in their pictures.

This tells me the leadership at Shimano is in disarray.

There's no reason the hook keeper on any rod regardless of whatever configuration it's built in should be placed in different positions. Pick one placement and stick with it and that muscle memory about where the hook keeper is going to help so much with efficiency.

Saw it coming years ago. Was bizarre seeing Shimano calll one of their reels a "van ford". This is just a manifestation or continuation of their leadership problems. May even be related to DEI issues. Not sure.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    This thread got me curious and I went to Loomis' site to check out the GLX and IMX rods.

WOW. They seem to be confused about where the hook keeper is supposed to go.

For many years it's always been on the left side of the rod. Doesn't matter if it's a casting or spinning rod. It's on the left or port side of the rod looking at it.

And now it's on the top or bottom of the rod. If you go to Loomis' website to look at their GLX or IMX rods you'll see the hook keeper in different positions on the rod in their pictures.

This tells me the leadership at Shimano is in disarray.

There's no reason the hook keeper on any rod regardless of whatever configuration it's built in should be placed in different positions. Pick one placement and stick with it and that muscle memory about where the hook keeper is going to help so much with efficiency.

Saw it coming years ago. Was bizarre seeing Shimano calll one of their reels a "van ford". This is just a manifestation or continuation of their leadership problems. May even be related to DEI issues. Not sure.
    Lol...well, I appreciate your small rant, however if DEI were only limited to hook placement designs on fishing rods, the Free World would be eternally grateful.

FWIW, different location of hook hangers are usually due to the intended lure/tech usage of said model rod, I.E., trebles, skin-hooked baits, dropshot,.etc.

For me, a hook hanger.is easily made with a snap/split ring + braid, or any various aftermarket keepers like the one from Fuji.

3. Member
    Hookkeepers on the side, as intuitive and convenient it is for you to use it, allows the line to catch it while fishing. On top, for baitcasting, or bottom, for spinning is where it tends to snag less. If it’s mounted below the reel seat (I personally don’t like it there), it doesn’t matter, and left side (for right handers) is probably the most logical. Some rod companies figured this out, others seem to keep rethinking it.

4. Member
    Anyone have the 874 they can give a review on? How does it compare to the NRX 873?

5. Member
    Good question scuba scott

6. Member
    Hi all,

Need to replace my 892c that snapped this past weekend.

I have been throwing anything from a 5inch Senko to a 1/4oz (total weight) ned rig to a 3.8'' keitech with it.

Since the rod is no longer in the new line up I am not sure which rod to pick.

I am curious about the 902c MBR, which seems to be more of a moving baits only kind of rod. Wondering if anybody has experience with it and can provide an opinion on how it would do as a bottom contact rod.

Other than that the 852c looks like the right choice, no?

Thanks all!

7. Member
    Oh man, that's a bummer as I really enjoy my GLX892C for river smallies! I would not hesitate to go with the 902C if you like the extra length because even with the mag bass tapers the 902 should be pretty close to what you're used to in terms of power/ taper! I would love my 892 with the updated GLX reel seat.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalsh24 View Post
    Oh man, that's a bummer as I really enjoy my GLX892C for river smallies! I would not hesitate to go with the 902C if you like the extra length because even with the mag bass tapers the 902 should be pretty close to what you're used to in terms of power/ taper! I would love my 892 with the updated GLX reel seat.
    Yeah, I liked my 892c, even though I only had it for a couple of months. Paired perfectly with the 30 Conquest SE.

Yep, probably will try the 902c. Thanks for confirming my thoughts! ;-)
    Last edited by freelancer27; 05-30-2024 at 08:19 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    Yeah, I liked my 892c, even though I only had it for a couple of months. Paired perfectly with the 30 Conquest.

Yep, probably will try the 902c. Thanks for confirming my thoughts! ;-)
    I'll bet the new combo will look old school classy! Post pics if you can.

10. Member
    I will. But I think a golden Conquest would look better on the black and gold blank of the new GLX. First world problems..

11. Member
    Received my GLX 902c on Friday and took it out for a spin on Saturday. Wanted to share my early thoughts on the rod to help others in their possible decision making process.

Reminder: My (old) GLX 892c snapped on me (the rod probably did not like that it was foul hooked and casted into the lake some time before it snapped.. ;D), so I used the Xpeditor program to replace it.

First impressions out of the rod tube:

* Rod weight 3.73oz, the 892c came in at 4.31oz, which is great deal of weight reduction given the additional length and its full cork handle!!
    * Weight reduction would not mean nothing, if balance was off. I am happy to report that the rod balances really well. I am using a Calcutta Conquest Shollow Edition on it and the rod balances perfectly with the reel.

Looks: well, let's put it this way: the black and gold takes a bit of time to get used to. While the Conquest SE's blue tone perfectly matched the old GLX's color tone, it looks a bit displaced on the new GLX. The golden Conquest would look probably perfect on it though. I am not thaaat particular about my gear, so dont think I will change that any time soon.

Fit and finish: typical Gloomis. It's okay but no where near a Megabass or even a Steez. We all know that.. The blank has little to no epoxy on it (similar to the NRX, is it the same blank?) which I would think is a main contributor to the reduced weight. It feels a bit more fragile in comparison to the old GLX. Time will tell..

Power and action: Here I was a bit (positively) surprised. While I expected the mag taper, to me the taper turned out to be much faster than expected. Since I am planning to use the rod mostly for finesse bottom contact activities, this was taper is definitely welcomed. The taper is definitely (as one would expect) very light, but gets into a rather powerful backbone about 1/4 of the rod in.

Intended use: 1/8oz texas rigs, micro jigs, small paddle tails and small cranks and lipless

Fishing experience:
    I had the Conquest spooled with 18.5lb braid to 7lb FC leader. On the water the combo felt very well balanced and was a joy to fish. It is hard to objectively compare sensitivity here against my other high end rods (Conquest, NRX, Steez, Megabass P5), but I think it was comparable to an NRX (maybe slightly below it). With braid to leader it is more splitting hairs at this level anyways...

Threw a range of lures: Lowes was a 1/16oz jig head with plastic (1/8oz total weight), that I was able to cast somewhat comfortably for 20-25m. Not sure if that was more contributed to the reel than the rod though. Maybe its the combination of the two! ;-)

Highest weight was a 1/4oz swimbait jig head with a 3.8oz keitech, which probably got close to 1/2oz). I was able to bomb cast this lure out like there was no morning. While it was quite windy, I still got more than 60m out of it.

I had only one bite on the combo, but it was the right kind of bite. A 5.6lb largie decided to give my 1/8oz T-rig a try. The fight was a lot of fun and took me almost 3mins to safely land her.

Overall, I would think that the rod is promising and is fairly versatile in its applications. I just do not think that it is worth $600 (with taxes). For $350-400 it would get a recommendation from me. At this price point its a meh.

12. Member
    Well, I guess the only option is for us to trade rods so we're both happy!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalsh24 View Post
    Well, I guess the only option is for us to trade rods so we're both happy!!
    Well, to be fair. I prefer it over the old 892c. It is just a lot of money for that rod. A NRX 902c should cost that money, but for a GLX it is a bit hard to accept..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Lol...well, I appreciate your small rant, however if DEI were only limited to hook placement designs on fishing rods, the Free World would be eternally grateful.

FWIW, different location of hook hangers are usually due to the intended lure/tech usage of said model rod, I.E., trebles, skin-hooked baits, dropshot,.etc.

For me, a hook hanger.is easily made with a snap/split ring + braid, or any various aftermarket keepers like the one from Fuji.
    Just saw this. Got to say that I'm not really sure why you quoted me. I was responding to the guy who started the thread to talk about Loomis rods, not you.

It's cool that you like to have a snap or split ring and some braid sliding up and down the rods you fish. If it works for you, great. But this thread is for the guys that fish Loomis rods, really.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    Just saw this. Got to say that I'm not really sure why you quoted me. I was responding to the guy who started the thread to talk about Loomis rods, not you.

It's cool that you like to have a snap or split ring and some braid sliding up and down the rods you fish. If it works for you, great. But this thread is for the guys that fish Loomis rods, really.
    Yep, that's correct, it is a post about the new GLX...and yet my input on why hook hangers are placed on a rod as they are, is still valid. As is the ability to add a hook hanger anyway and anywhere on the rod to the owner's liking, whether is a simple "Jerry-rig," or a ubiquitous Fuji hook hanger (which most of my JDM rods have). My point is that "DEI" is likely not the reason for this hook hanger design on the current GLX...and yes if DEI were limited to such decisions in rod design, most peeps would be very happy with that end result.

FWIW, I'm not trying to belittle or insult you...I'm just sayin'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12