Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I don't see how, seems like we are on opposite sides of the fence. If I didn't want to take advantage of all technology and gps offers today I would likely just by the cheapest non-gps motorguide and be done with it. But I couldn't imagine spending $3500 plus on a TM and not take advantage of all the latest features available today by linking it with an MFD in some way.
    I think most people just want spotlock. That other stuff is nice, but most don’t use any of that.

2. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Being able to maneuver spot lock on all your graphs makes spot lock even sweeter. You can use the remote control but I like it on the graphs.

3. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post

AND last but not least I've never heard an Ultrex sound like Jake Whitakers Ghost on Chickamauga
    Watch and pay attention to when he works the trolling motor
    From 48:52 -to- 57:10 and 4:30:32 -to- 4:35:15

I don't hear any of these "noises".

I would definitely go with the new Quest over the Ghost.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

5. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I would also if I had HB graphs and I'd do the Force if I had Garmin graphs.

6. Member
    The Ghost has a much better mount…

7. Member
    I am going with the QUEST as I worry about service with the other brands and luckily I have the best MK repair center right in my town…
    Also, I have never noticed a steering noise with my Ultrex. Can you explain the noise please ??
    Thanks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twray View Post
    The Ghost has a much better mount…
    That's where I'm at. It's cool that the ultrex finally caught up and went brushless, but the ghost is cheaper, has a better mount, and has way better cable management. I have a force, and not having to futz around with the cable whenever you deploy the trolling motor is great.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    The Ghost is great, but I still think I'd want integration, so if I have birds then a Quest (now that they've caught up), Garmin wuld be a Force, and for me with HDS Lives it is a Ghost.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    The Ghost is great, but I still think I'd want integration, so if I have birds then a Quest (now that they've caught up), Garmin wuld be a Force, and for me with HDS Lives it is a Ghost.
    All depends on the angler. I've had integration with my graphs and trolling motor, and have used non of the features. Just too locked into running everything off of the foot pedal, and with livescope I don't even use spotlock near as much as I used to.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    I own an original series Ultrex and have absolutely loved it. However it's got some sensor issues and other things going array. Not sure I wanna start changing parts here and there for couple hundred a pop and it become a money pit. So I've decided to upgrade.

looking at the New Quest or Ghost

leaning Quest because I've been so happy with my Ultrex. Anyone got true insight on one or both?

I run a Lowrance and a bird at the front.
    Wow, spend that kind of money for a trolling motor and it starts to wearout after a few years. Then jumping up a grand more for upgrade. I am running a 26 year old OMC and it is as good as new.

12. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    Wow, spend that kind of money for a trolling motor and it starts to wearout after a few years. Then jumping up a grand more for upgrade. I am running a 26 year old OMC and it is as good as new.
    Happiness is all that matters. Once you use spot lock and other features on the new TMs I doubt you would ever consider the Ole OMC! Again, happiness is all that matters. I was happy with that Ugly stick until I picked up that NRX!! One thing everyone I know says is "HOW THE HELL DID WE FISH WITHOUT SPOTLOCK"!!

I guess the wind doesn't blow in Edmonds like it does here. When fish are loaded on a point or flat and the wind is cranking 30+ there is nothing better than hitting spotlock and fishing out of the back of the boat and spanking them. FFS is worthless in comparison. Incremental adjustments to stay on fish is where the integration comes into play. 5' movements without the wash out of resetting spotlock is sweet. My $.2 and I do admit I love staring at my FFS I really do.

I'm not sure what makes one that much better than the other. Brushless is better for longevity and efficiency. No matter what you choose your going to get a good TM.

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the flexible shaft on the Ultrex and Quest. Cracked everyone I owned, they still worked, just moved more.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I'm in the same position with an original year Ultrex. Plan is to go with the new Ultrex Quest
    I've had the composite shafts even before Ultrex --- Never an issue and best I recall if you do hit something hard enough to damage, they have a lifetime warranty on the shaft

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I'm in the same position with an original year Ultrex. Plan is to go with the new Ultrex Quest
    I've had the composite shafts even before Ultrex --- Never an issue and best I recall if you do hit something hard enough to damage, they have a lifetime warranty on the shaft
    They do, and its not a big deal, just a pain to take it off and get it repaired. First time I did that and lifted it off my boat i was surprised how heavy it was. Not saying its heavier than any other, just alot of weight on the bow.

Like I stated no matter what you get it will do the job, I don't know what features I have by having the same graph and TM. To me this really does not matter.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

They are darn sure heavy. Might be easier to take the head off and slide the motor/shaft out and just take it.
    I'm all in on H-bird including a target lock so I better stick with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12