Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    What brand primer bulb?
    If it's not getting tight fuel
    should be leaking someplace eventually during pumping.
    I have put 4 different bulbs on it , Sierra is on it now.

If the bulb won't get hard you have a leak, when the motor is running you will be sucking air.
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

Quote Originally Posted by basfish View Post
    If the bulb won't get hard you have a leak, when the motor is running you will be sucking air.

THIS^^^ for sure.

Have you checked the carburetor gaskets? I had a Johnson GT 150...the same motor as yours. The ethanol in the gas had softened the carburetor so much that they leaked.

Another thing...those were cold hearted motors. They were a PITA to start in the morning. But, once you got them going, they would start great all day. An old timer showed me this trick and it works for any old carbureted motor. First, pump the bulb tight (once you get that problems solved). When you back in the water, lower the motor until it's level. Chock the motor by pushing the key in and slowly counting to 10, but do not try to start the motor yet. Once you reach 10, start the motor. It should start much easier using this method. Let the motor idle for about 20 seconds until the rpms drop. Back off the trailer, tie up, park you truck!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

My buddy had a Johnson and had to start it up just like Jeff said. Once started that thing ran great.

5. Member
    Done a compression check yet?
    John

6. Member
    Like Jeff said, had a rude 150 and was told by a old boat man to chock it thjat way,never a problem anymore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12