Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Whatever your budget is, triple it. That'll be about half of what you'll need to finish.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

2. Banned
    Make sure the budget is correct. We have done quite a few, the homeowners will budget big bucks for fixtures, but peanuts for all the labor required to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    that's pretty funny. My worst fear is getting the shower all done and it leaks...that is going to be the biggest pain in the a$$ out of everything in the bathroom
    I was worried about that too. I watched multiple You Tube videos on it and most recommend some sort of moisture barrier. I used the Mapei brand from Lowe's https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-Mapel...mbrane/3056573 . It's a real dark green jelly looking stuff that I slathered on good and thick. I also used Hardie backer on all the shower walls, not just the first 24 or 30 inches like I've heard of people doing.

There are several good You Tube videos about building shower pans and tile setting and all that. There was one guy in particular that sort of became my mentor throughout the whole job. I'll see if I can find his channel and send a link if you're interested. I had also at one time, been a distributors rep for the old C-Cure brand, so I had been face to face with a lot of trowel & bucket guys over the years so I had some sense about grout and setting materials and how to work with them. It's just this was the biggest tile job my wife and I tackled together. Looking back, I should have used one of those pan templet devices to get the grade correct.

We had many arguments as well as fun times doing it. I don't think either one of us would trade the experience or the sense of pride of accomplishment that we feel from doing it ourselves.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Strip it down to the studs and start from there.

This^^^^

Did ours like that. Everything new, tub, cabinets, sink, head. Buy the best stuff. It will last.

5. Member
    If you are tiling the shower remember , hardibacker/greenboard is not waterproof you need a waterproof membrane. Red guard is what I used when I remolded ours earlier this year. Plan on things taking longer than expected you will find things will probably not be square or plumb when you tear it out.
    Native Titan 10.5 Kayak

6. Member
    We are in the midst of having ours done now. Contractor gutting the master bath. We chose to pay to have it done in 3 weeks vs having our house in shambles for months trying to screw it up ourselves.
    -
    Recommend putting more lights than you think you’ll need.(leds to keep things cooler) make sure you already have a large, quiet exhaust fan. Dimmer switches on all lights. Pocket door to replace the existing door; gives you more room. Outlets in the vanity drawers. (Might not be code in your area?) Then you can keep stuff plugged in and not have to drag it out and put stuff all over the vanity.

Quote Originally Posted by znate80 View Post
    If you are tiling the shower remember , hardibacker/greenboard is not waterproof you need a waterproof membrane. Red guard is what I used when I remolded ours earlier this year. Plan on things taking longer than expected you will find things will probably not be square or plumb when you tear it out.
    Yup, were planning on installing the schluter kit for our shower and carrying and tying that into a membrane for the floor tile too

Get a tall toilet, personally I like a walk in shower. Make sure to have outlets by your vanity. It amazes me the gadgets my wife has for her hair.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

We have 9x13 tile from the tub to the ceiling. We also have the same tile approximately 48” high on the walls. If I was going to do it again, I would use the one piece stuff (don’t know the name of it). Looks like a 4x8 sheet of granite. No grout lines, just a thin silicone bead in the corners. Hampton Inn And Hilton hotels use this product.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Make sure the budget is correct. We have done quite a few, the homeowners will budget big bucks for fixtures, but peanuts for all the labor required to do the job.
    I also "plan" for a 10% cost overrun...because once you pull out a wall or rip out a tile, or remove an outlet...you're going to find something else. Our kitchen remodel was estimated at 37K...I made sure I could touch 41K.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

If it were me, I would get my wife a hotel room for a week while I was working on it.

12. Member
    lay out the plumbing before and test before you close it up.

How old is the house?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    I am in the process of remodeling our 2nd bath so we can remodel our master. I remodeled the master around 18 years ago. I used durrock back then, unless you completely waterproof it with a spreadable waterproofer, it is not waterproof. I had some rotten studs.

This time I am using GoBoard by Johns mansfield, thought about Wedi but couldn't justify the cost at about $50 per 3x5 sheet. Goboard (Lowes $20/ 3x5) was a joy to work with although a bit itchy has it has a fiberglass component to it. But it cut and handled better than anything I have used in the past. IT is lightweight and relatively inexpensive given it is 100% waterproof out of the gate.

This bathroom is in my basement, in Minnesota, I wish I had done a heated floor.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefsfan View Post
    We had ours done by a contractor, decided on the solid surface shower walls and pan, which matched the vanity top. Turned out very cool.
    I'm going this route when we redo the master bath. Solid surfaces make everything WAAAAY easier to clean.

Sheldon Linhart
    Excelsior Springs, MO
    1995 Dynatrak /Yamaha Pro V150

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    We have 9x13 tile from the tub to the ceiling. We also have the same tile approximately 48” high on the walls. If I was going to do it again, I would use the one piece stuff (don’t know the name of it). Looks like a 4x8 sheet of granite. No grout lines, just a thin silicone bead in the corners. Hampton Inn And Hilton hotels use this product.
    Onyx system is what we used.....expensive but turned out very nice..wife loves it

18. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    If it were me, I would get my wife a hotel room for a week while I was working on it.
    THIS!!!!

19. Member
    Done mine bedroom bath last year took it to the studs . New everything, I even built the medicine cabinet vanity and towel storage ( I made those out of 1x4 ) made the vanity top out of walnut . I had a contractor give me a estimate of 12 to 15 thousand. I had less than 3 thousand in it . I guess I’m cheap .it took a while but it was worth it

If moving the toilet Use 13" off of the bare studs to the center line of the drain pipe when roughing it in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast