Rural mail box size.

I read that the USPS is pushing this size box now. https://www.usps.com/packagemailbox/

2. Member
    Mine is not like that but I replaced mine with a pretty large model a few years ago to make life easier for my postlady because I was getting a lot of packages delivered.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

That’s about the size of mine. I’d went bigger if I found it in the same style.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

4. Member
    With how many small packages are being delivered by mail nowadays, good idea to make it easier on both sides to drop off these packages.

Btw, don't think it's just a rural thing. It's a mailbox size that would be good for anyone, I think.

recently upgraded my rural route mailbox!
    image0 (6).jpeg

6. Member
    Us fishermen could make a mailbox out of a 8 foot water main pipe so our TW rod order could be delivered.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

7. Member
    A large box saves a ton of time for the mail carrier. They make 200 to 300 deliveries a day. Imagine how much time it takes to go to the door instead of leaving a package in the mailbox - especially with the huge increase in parcel deliveries.

8. Member
    Just replaced mine 2 weeks ago to bigger size because of all of the packages we receive.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowafuzz View Post
    A large box saves a ton of time for the mail carrier. They make 200 to 300 deliveries a day. Imagine how much time it takes to go to the door instead of leaving a package in the mailbox - especially with the huge increase in parcel deliveries.
    You do know they get paid extra for that don’t you.

Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    a rural carrier is paid a flat rate for the day. a city carrier does get over time. depends who your carrier is.

11. triton
    If a package doesn't fit in my mailbox I get a slip to pick it up at the Post Office, that
    started about two years ago....No big deal but I hear alot of grumling from others in the area ....

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

12. Member
    I put a locking mail box up 15 years ago About the same size. It’s got a metal pole in cement

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbass4me View Post
    a rural carrier is paid a flat rate for the day. a city carrier does get over time. depends who your carrier is.
    A rural carrier is allowed to log an extra trip to the door. Just not a single trip to the door.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    If a package doesn't fit in my mailbox I get a slip to pick it up at the Post Office, that
    started about two years ago....No big deal but I hear alot of grumling from others in the area ....
    This could be a good thing, never having to worry about "porch pirates" or "mail box pirates" !

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    A rural carrier’s pay is based on what is called a “mail count”. A rural carrier’s mail is physically counted for a period of time/weeks - letters, flats/magazines and parcels. These numbers are calculated (by a formula) into the amount of time it should take to case and deliver. It also calculates their salary. They also receive a daily allowance for mileage. So, if during a mail count they averaged 50 parcels a day - that is figured into their average wage. If after mail count, they have to delver 75 parcels, they technically don’t get paid for the extra 25. Conversely, if they only deliver 25, they get paid their same daily wage as during mail count. Supposed to average out. It all boils down to the mail count. If the mail count is low, the rural carrier can really be dinged. The opposite is also true. And the USPS generally schedules a mail count when? You guess.

16. Member
    Our rural boxes have been the jumbo size for ever.

17. Member
    My mail lady just puts packages on top of the brick that encases my mailbox. I guess she is too lazy to drive up the driveway and walk to the door to deliver it, pictures have been delivered multiple times to the local postmaster but nothing gets done about it. I sure do miss our old mail carrier; he was so nice and would chat with you when he came to the door.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    Thats most likey rural carrier. they are different union then city carriers. i have mounted boxes as city carrier. if package is to big i walk up to house with the mail and knock. no answer leave package and mail if safe from weather.

also dont get box looks like that that locks. you cant put any type package in them.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowafuzz View Post
    A rural carrier’s pay is based on what is called a “mail count”. A rural carrier’s mail is physically counted for a period of time/weeks - letters, flats/magazines and parcels. These numbers are calculated (by a formula) into the amount of time it should take to case and deliver. It also calculates their salary. They also receive a daily allowance for mileage. So, if during a mail count they averaged 50 parcels a day - that is figured into their average wage. If after mail count, they have to delver 75 parcels, they technically don’t get paid for the extra 25. Conversely, if they only deliver 25, they get paid their same daily wage as during mail count. Supposed to average out. It all boils down to the mail count. If the mail count is low, the rural carrier can really be dinged. The opposite is also true. And the USPS generally schedules a mail count when? You guess.
    I am well aware of how it works. Also know how the usps screws its employees by not doing counts during busy periods of the year. All I am saying is that there are ways to log extra time, if you are doing extra trips to the door. Please see post #13