Wow that’s impressive at the Indy 500.

They just had a car crash into the wall. And almost before the car stopped spinning the safety truck was right there. Pretty impressive.

2. Member
    That goes back to the IRL and CART days. I forget which series had that unbelievable response but they are the best. Basically beside the car as it stops.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

3. Member
    F1 is impressive too.The medical car is driven by a professional race driver and they are driving 99.5% on the limit. The cars are probably nearly as fast as a NASCAR. They can have a trauma surgeon besides the driver in 30 seconds or so.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

IMS has been on the forefront of safety stuff for quite a while.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    What an exciting race to watch!!

Good race!

7. Member
    I’m not a race fan but I watch the Indy 500 every year. It doesn’t disappoint.

Put the 32 other drivers in a midget/sprint car for a 50 lapper in a bull ring..

9. Member
    That was a really good finish.

10. Member
    I live 80 miles from the race no coverage, tv or radio. Don't have tv on cable. They don't even talk about race around here anymore

Indy car has had 2 incidents over the years where the safety teams were put to the extreme test. The 1st was quite a few years ago at the CART oval race in Germany where Alex Zanardi lost control of his car coming back up to speed after a pit stop and wound up sliding in front of another car going well over 200mph. The front of his car was essentially sheared off, along with the lower part of both of his legs. They had to extract him from the car along with shutting off the bleeding. Alex survived.

The other involved James Hinchcliff, who was announcing yesterday. He had an accident a few years ago where he hit the wall and a suspension piece pierced his thigh. Once again the safety team had to not only extract him but shutoff the blood flow to that leg to keep him from bleeding out. Obviously Hinch made it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    I live 80 miles from the race no coverage, tv or radio. Don't have tv on cable. They don't even talk about race around here anymore
    My sister lives in Indy and she said they lifted the network blackout after the race was delayed....seems like 340.000 people talked about it!
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

You can thank Tony George for that. His arrogance/stupidity really hurt what’s now Indy car. When he thought he was smart enough to do an end run on Roger Penske and start the IRL the prestige of IMS & 30 Days in May took a massive hit.

The hit was so massive Tony’s mom and sisters ousted him as Chairman of the Board of IMS. Now Roger owns the track By all accounts Roger is making great strides to breathe life back in to the speedway.

If you don’t have network or the right channel on your cable (like me) you’re not going to see the race without paying for it through an app. I don’t think WIBC radio is licensed to syndicate their broadcast anymore either.

14. Member
    Good race. I just finished the book "Black Noon, the year they stopped the Indy 500 " 1964 race in which 2 drivers died in a fire. A lot of info abt the history off the 500, it was a pivotal year with the rear engine cars coming in against the Offy powered roadsters & gas versus alcohol for fuel.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Trapper View Post
    Good race. I just finished the book "Black Noon, the year they stopped the Indy 500 " 1964 race in which 2 drivers died in a fire. A lot of info abt the history off the 500, it was a pivotal year with the rear engine cars coming in against the Offy powered roadsters & gas versus alcohol for fuel.
    Funny you mention the '64 race - I was just thinking about it yesterday. I was 8 and expecting to go to the race but my grandparents came into town at the last minute and my parents gave them my Mother's ticket and mine. I had been going since I was 3 and had gotten used to going so I was pretty disappointed. My Dad always worked at the track and our tickets were always at the start of the front straight just were the tragic accident took place. It just so happens Eddie Sachs was my favorite driver at the time and my Grandparents had to watch my favorite driver die in the flames just in front of them. .......sometimes things happen for a reason.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

It’s a damn shame he feels that way cause live out his dreams and thousands of others racers dream.. even led some laps.. Congratulations and Thanks for the Memories you are making..

17. Member
    Let's hear it for Comcast. They broadcast the race. I set my recorder up to watch it later. I then decided, maybe if it runs long, I'll tape the next scheculed golf 2 hour show just in case. Sure enough, it didn't even start until 30+ minutes into what was supposed to be golf. Then, of course, the race ran even longer so I didn't get to watch the end because Comcast didn't extend my recording of a sports event like they said they would. What poop!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    It’s a damn shame he feels that way cause live out his dreams and thousands of others racers dream.. even led some laps.. Congratulations and Thanks for the Memories you are making..

Yep, a little mistake and then some bad luck from Mother Nature. Sure woulda been cool to see him do it all, but that’s not the last we well see from Larson.

I remember driving 2 hours to my Aunt and listening to it on the radio and after we got there.. My Uncle would fire up his grill and we would eat and watch the replay that night as a kid..