Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many casts do you make

I had a tough day yesterday, put in 8 hours and fish HARD but only caught 2 and missed 2.
    Last night I was thinking how many casts did I make and I figure it has to be at least 400 right, no wonder my elbow is sore
    Last edited by Kromer; 05-26-2024 at 04:55 AM.

2. Banned
    one every 8 to 10 seconds.

3. Member
    Counting the number of casts to determine how hard you fished can be misleading. How often your lure is in the strike zone use to be the factor I looked at. In todays world of electronics you now need to add in time behind the screens.

4. Member
    I also love to power fish and won't break out the Senko unless absolutely necessary. I'm too old to fish 8 hours but I'm sure I make about 400 casts in half that time!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    I had a tough day yesterday, put in 8 hours and fish HARD but only caught 2 and missed 2.
    Last night I was thinking how many casts did I make and I figure it has to be at least 400 right, no wonder my elbow is sore
    Sounds like a "normal" day to me ! We must be doing something wrong !

6. DINK CATCHER
    How many casts do I make? Some questions are best left unansweredI've had a great year this year running a solid dink pattern with very few big ones. My underwater spotlight has been a big help
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I wish I knew...sometimes I feel like it's over a 1000.

This is one reason I like Facts of Fishing / Mercer's show, it shows the time and casts to the fish count.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

8. Member
    I don't think how many matters but rather how good each is and whether it is in the correct location and then what you do with the bait while there.

9. Member
    NOT as many as I use to

10. Member
    Bruh.... that's not enough casts unless you are at a one acre farm pond, or working lures really, really, painstakingly slow...

I normally fish 8-12+ on the boat. No telling, but a bunch.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

12. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    I don't think how many matters but rather how good each is and whether it is in the correct location and then what you do with the bait while there.
    Think I remember old time pros talking about 1000 casts a day. Casting efficiently like someone like Jimmy Houston, deadly accurate casts that may be no greater than 20ft reduces the amount of dead water in the cast.

I practice my casting quite a bit. Even being an above avg caster, I still feel like I waste too many casts every trip I make.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    Can you beat this?
    Rick Clunn, the legendary bass fisherman, is known for his rapid-fire casting technique. In a tournament years ago, a baseball statistician accompanied him and meticulously tracked his casts. The astonishing result? Clunn made
    2,348 casts in a single day That’s an impressive average of 7 ½ casts per minute in the morning which dropped to 6 per minute in the afternoon, and then picked up again to 7 casts per minute] by day’s end. Despite this high volume, Clunn’s remarkable precision allowed him to hook 25 bass, landing all but one of them.

14. Member
    Bump

15. Member
    1 bass every 100ish casts for Clunn. Wow seems like a lot

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    With the popularity of livescope the process has the tendency to be more like hunting then making a cast verses casting as much as you can to keep your bait in front of fish. I have livescope and I don't consider my self a scoper but there is situations where I look before I cast and this has definitely bought down the number of times I'll cast in a day. Is it a dramatic number...no. In certain situations is it enough that a person would notice few less cast made in a day...possibly yes

17. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by rjvana37 View Post
    Can you beat this?
    Rick Clunn, the legendary bass fisherman, is known for his rapid-fire casting technique. In a tournament years ago, a baseball statistician accompanied him and meticulously tracked his casts. The astonishing result? Clunn made
    2,348 casts in a single day That’s an impressive average of 7 ½ casts per minute in the morning which dropped to 6 per minute in the afternoon, and then picked up again to 7 casts per minute] by day’s end. Despite this high volume, Clunn’s remarkable precision allowed him to hook 25 bass, landing all but one of them.
    Gotta dig up that entire article. That journalist also went so far as to record the number of times Clunn got hung up and the number of times he got his bait free. It proves, Clunn was not only winning tournaments, he was winning the casting contest too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    My fishing is like the old Ben Hur movies. Cast of thousands. Probably 2-300 in in average 8 hour tournament day. Damn I'm good, but not so hot on pitching.

19. Member
    Always got a kick out of an announcer mentioning how many pitches a guy throws. Compare it to fishing! ��

Invent the cast counter that adds up the cast per bail trigger activation similar to how an umpire counts the balls strikes outs etc. Everytime you push the spool release trigger it counts it as a cast.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast