Tires and bearings

I blew a tire at Lake Powell last year and bought 4 BF Goodrich TA 235R7015 with a max tire pressure of 35psi. I'm running them on my 2021 Cougar and this week blew 3 hubs in 2 days, one of which had been repacked/resealed last summer. Could this have anything to do with running 35psi vs 44psi that I was running in my original tires or was I just cursed and should have packed them all at the 2 year point, I run a lot of bad dirt roads up here in Montana. I have 4 new BCB hub/brake/spindle assemblies on the way and am going to start over fresh, I destroyed spindles on 2 hubs, a brake assembly, and got it cobbled together to make the 400 mile run home from eastern Mt. I had check all the hubs every 100 miles and they were all cool, until they cooked off, the last one blew 60 miles after I had checked it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow Mike. What terrible luck. I wouldn’t think tire pressure would cause it. Prolly the rough dirt road conditions ate the seals and allowed water intrusion. Once you get it all back together you may have to go to a yearly service and seal replacement schedule.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

I sure have to do something different, I always kept my boats 3 years and lost a hub once or twice in the last 17 years, but never 3 in 2 days!

You have UFP Dexter on a 2021 model and those should have been grease hubs. We’ve had much better luck with grease than Vault, though obviously you aren’t. We would have someone put a gauge on the spindles to see if they are bent. Replacing tires on a 2021 is not normal as those generally last several years and tens of thousands of miles.

Thus we are wondering two things; 1) did the previous tires show cupping or outside wear? 2) how many miles are on this trailers end bearings?

Also… You aren’t regularly using a grease gun? Are you?

No grease gun ever! I'd had 2 flats, with one cut and unrepairable, so I replaced the General tires with the Goodriches while at a tournament on Lake Powell last fall. Tires were wearing perfect (no cupping or outside wear) and so are the new ones. I probably have about 17K miles total with about 500 miles of that being gravel/dirt washboard run at 25mph, on the trailer since I bought it May 2021. One hub leaked at the seal last summer, had a new seal and repack done by Les Schwab Tire. I'm replacing all the spindles with complete assemblies from Parts at BCB. I had a full new spare Vault brake/hub/spindle/arm, so I put that on yesterday to replace the most jerry rigged of what I made it home on.
    Last edited by mike464; 05-26-2024 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks for the solid information. We are curious as to why you’ve had this issue on the components.

BCB

7. Member
    Mike and I are good friends. He knows first hand my struggles with blowing hubs on my BassCat. So, when he blew his, he called. I wasnt much help being 400 miles away. But, all his problems were things I have had to deal with since I bought my boat. I go through one or two hubs a season. I have called and emailed with BCB many times over this issue. At this point the only "possible" fix is to do what Mike did and order all new hub/spindle units from BCBs. Its just the way it is on my trailer. I made two choices since my last debacle. 1. Yearly hub repacks by a professional. 2. Never pull my boat faster than 65 mph. We shall see if there is any improvement.

btribby,

These hubs and parts are identical on all of the popular brands. We returned to grease, with the challenges we saw over time with the Vault system. Most of the brands you are familiar with have these hubs and we are not seeing drastic issues on most hubs, or it would be well discussed here. We are not comfortable with the sheer volume we see, though we also are hindered in use of other manufacturers. Those issues you two are seeing are rather unique and have our interest peaked.

BCB

9. Member
    Mike and Btribby are both probably much more experienced anglers, Boaters, trailer pullers than I am so please take this with a grain of salt. I have had my fair share of Trailer trouble here in South Louisiana. Some of it due to the terrible roads/highways we have, some due to Saltwater/brackish water use causing issues. And even though I'd hate to admit it, some due to operator error.

Are you balancing your wheels on your boat trailer? I believe that to be critical to the life of the tires, hubs, spindles on these things especially with the terrible roads we have here in South La. I'm sure this is not as high on some peoples priority list but it is an absolute must for me. If it turns at a high rate of speed it should be balanced.

The Dirt roads in Montana Can't be helping. Constant vibration from gravel and washer board grooves along with dirt affecting the seals. May be cause for increased maintenance. Yearly Seal replacement and repacking?

I'm not much help! LOL! just thinking out loud.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

10. Member
    I have gone through the same things as Mike. Its not a basscat trailer its a ranger trail Duel with a 520L. Yes I still run the hybrid oil system. Since 18 I have had to replace 8 tires and 3 full hub assy. And a spindle. I blame Dexter UFP. Its A crap shoot as to what you get and if you only go a few hundred miles a year or as I do a few thousand.

11. Member
    I love the dexter ex lube system for trailers that get abused.

Especially duck boat trailers that get launched into roadside ditches and towed down really bad roads/trails. The trailer might sink down into 18 inches of silty mud and salt water and I have still never had a problem. Just lube a few times a year which totally repacks the bearings and pay attention to the seals when and after you lube.

When you launch like this you get old fishing line and torn up cast nets occasionally.

I havent had any problems with my basscat trailer yet, but it doesnt get abused and gets launched on nice boat ramps and towed down nice roads. Their whole system is designed for very limited maintenance instead of very easy maintenance.

12. Member
    On my 2013 margay I never had an issue for like 8 years and would have the bearings greased and repacked every 2-3. In the last 3 years two hubs have blown out and almost destroyed the trailer, had to order a new fender on one through insurance as it heated up so bad it shot the wheel off into a field and took part of the fender with it. The first one ground down all the bolts on the leaf springs and had to be replaced. 14 months from the date of the last one we blew another, again whole axle replacement new hub new everything. We drive about 2500 miles a year on that trailer. I am now down to paying a professional trailer shop once a year to change and repack. Just an fyi I have had multiple trailer shops tell me on my dexter axle for the 3 inch margay trailer that the manufacture highly recommends servicing them once a year, So that is now what we do. there is nothing more catastrophic to the boat and trailer when that thing blows out, especially watching them try to get the whole damn rig boat and trailer up onto a flat bed on the side of a highway.
    good luck and keep us posted.

I put 3 new grease full assemblies in today and a full Vault assembly I had as a spare. Hopefully I'll be set for a year. FedEx has managed to send one hub set off to who knows where after messing up the delivery yesterday. Parts at BCB has been great, as always, I just wish they wouldn't use FedEx! Heading out now, 150 miles one way, for a tournament this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Just chiming in here : Not a basscat owner but my R boat has vault hubs and i repacked them at 5 years replaced all the seals and have not had one issue to this date and im at 10 years now, i run goodyear endurance tires psi at 65 lbs cold i tow at 65 to 68 mph with the Cummins but i do slow down over speed bumps and i never curb a wheel i drive like the old man i am now i dont know if you drive fast or no offense beat your trailer up just curious due to the fact ive never had trailer issues with bearings or spindles but i routinely jack my trailer up and check side to side play on wheels and do an overall inspection of my trailer. z521c