Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Rid of an Old Trailer

So I had to replace my 8-year old Karavan trailer due to corrosion. What are my options for this old trailer? I've been told I might be able to sell it to a marina or maybe someone would want it for short commutes (cottage owner storing a boat over the winter). My question is- what is my liability once I sell the trailer? I will be completely upfront when selling the trailer and not expecting very much for it. But the tires, newer axle, and brakes are all in good shape. The rims are nice as well. Seems like I should be able to get something for it. Any advice is appreciated.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

2. Member
    “Sold as is, where is and without any warranty buyer is aware that the trailer is currently in poor condition”
    I'd Rather be Fishing

3. Member
    Will the "newer" axle fit your new trailer? If so, maybe part it out and keep the parts that will work for new trailer so you have spares...then scrap the rest.

Good luck !
    Every marine dealer around here has several old trailers sitting in their back lot.

5. Member
    put it out by the edge of your property with a sign 50 bucks some tweaker will come along and steal it problem solved.

6. Member
    Strip and sell the parts that are good and scrap the rest. If you have a plate on it, make sure your DMV knows you have destroyed the trailer.

Put it on Facebook Marketplace and you'll get 100 hits in 24 hours. Once you filter out the scams, tire kickers and the ones just asking something just to be asking you will find a buyer within 24 hours if you have it reasonably priced. Just advertise sold "as is" and give the details.

8. Member
    Metal recycler might pay something for it.

9. Member
    Bring it to a junk yard and get a couple hundred for scrap
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    I consider a 8?year old trailer as old.

11. DINK CATCHER
    Strip the good parts off it and scrap the rest. If you couldn't trust the trailer then why should someone else?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Strip the good parts off it and scrap the rest. If you couldn't trust the trailer then why should someone else?
    If he keeps the good parts how will he get it to the scrapyard?

13. Member
    How is it that a 8 year old trailer is no longer serviceable ? ? ?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    If he keeps the good parts how will he get it to the scrapyard?
    I would say cut it up and put the bad parts in the back of the truck. Either using a torch or a Sawzall will only take 2-4 hours.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I would say cut it up and put the bad parts in the back of the truck. Either using a torch or a Sawzall will only take 2-4 hours.
    Is it going to be worth the work? Can't see it bringing very much.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    put it out by the edge of your property with a sign 50 bucks some tweaker will come along and steal it problem solved.
    Back in 1984 I used to drive by a property on the way to work that the old fella always had something for sale on the edge of the road. I got this idea back then to become a flipper. Buy for 100 sell for 200 after cleaning painting etc.. He had an old boat trailer that could be cleaned and sold again. I talked him down to 125 and I bought it . I did the clean up and repaint then listed it for 225. No takers. Then one day the eld fella came knocking and offered me 100. I sold it back to him and he put it for sale again on his property. That was the beginning and end of my trial run at being a flipper.

Old Rush used to advise to stick with what you are an expert at. I flipped antique fishing tackle when the buying was cheap and the markets exploded. Paid 5 for a lure and sold for 600 a few times. Most everything I paid pennies on the dollars I flipped the stuff for.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 05-27-2024 at 07:25 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Is it going to be worth the work? Can't see it bringing very much.
    That's a Excellent question but that wasn't a concern. The question was how do you strip the good parts and get the rest to the scrap yard. I believe I did help with that conundrum.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    This honestly works. We had a bunch of logs at my grandfather's house after spending the day falling dead/almost dead trees. We cut them up into fire place/fire pit size logs, bundled them up for easy handling and put them out at the road with a "free firewood sign". Nobody stopped to even look at it for close to a week, so I changed the sign to "firewood for sale. $5 per bundle". Not 48 hours later, someone "stole" all of it in the middle of the night.

19. Member
    tow it out to middle of nowhere at night, back it up into some tall weeds or kudzu, unhook & drive away

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    tow it out to middle of nowhere at night, back it up into some tall weeds or kudzu, unhook & drive away
    Really ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast