2022 Mercury 450R Issues

1. Engine Serial Number 1E089515
    2. Year/Make/Model - 2022, Mercury, 450R - 14500013A
    3. Prop you are Running - 28 Bravo1, 48-831916
    4. Current Maximum RPM - 6,440
    5. Idle and WOT Water Pressure Readings - 6 / 25 psi
    6. Smartcraft or Analog Instruments? Smartcraft

The motor feels sluggish in the middle rpm range most of the time but not always.
    Sometimes when trying to plane out the engine will just surge from 3,000 to 2,500 RPMs. It will continue to do this until you let off the throttle and get back on it at which time it planes like normal - about 5 seconds. It has never done this off the trailer, always later in the day when changing locations.
    There are no DTCs
    I would greatly appreciate any advice or thoughts.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May possibly be a fuel supply problem (and by problem, I mean that it may simply be VAPORIZED fuel in the system).

Try permitting the engine to idle (in neutral) a minimum of 60 seconds before shutdown, and a minimum of 60 seconds after startup.

Also suggest trying a totally different fuel BRAND and STATION to rule out some unusual blend of fuel that contributes to the vaporizing problem.

BTW.. that's REALLY healthy water pressure at idle!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Will do thanks.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHSTIK View Post
    1. It will continue to do this until you let off the throttle...
    As Don says, that is typical behavior of a fuel supply problem.

Check hoses, primer bulb, etc, as well.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There's no primer bulb on a 450R (at least there better not be).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjoki81 View Post
    Hi!

I have exactly the same problem with my 450r. Did you solve the problem?
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of this Forum, and open your own separate thread for your engine/serial number. Be happy to help you then.

Thanks!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatmechanic View Post
    As Don says, that is typical behavior of a fuel supply problem.

Check hoses, primer bulb, etc, as well.
    Check FUEL VENT also and make sure it's not restricted. Could also have a bad hose that's collapsing somewhere. I think you should put gauges on it and verify fuel pressure.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    The 450 does limit power based on oil temp as well but thats typically only an issue at first holeshot of the day or during the winter. I have also seen issues when running hard to a spot, shutting down suddenly to fish without a proper cool down and ending up vapor locked on restart.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    The 450 does limit power based on oil temp as well but thats typically only an issue at first holeshot of the day or during the winter. I have also seen issues when running hard to a spot, shutting down suddenly to fish without a proper cool down and ending up vapor locked on restart.
    Good info, Tim.

And as with ANY Supercharged engine it's always wise to provide adequate warm-up time before hammering it, and ample cool down time before shutting down the engine. This is perhaps just as important as regular/proper maintenance.

10. Member
    curious if you ever found resolution to this problem? i have triple setup, but having same issues with engine stumbling getting on plane, week mid range, and only pulling 38-39gph at 6000 WOT. motor with same prop previously revved out to 6400 and 44-45gph. replaced all spark plugs 25 hours ago, found one bad plug, all else was good. the motor with fouled plug is burning 10% more fuel at cruise.

im not getting any codes either.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
    curious if you ever found resolution to this problem? i have triple setup, but having same issues with engine stumbling getting on plane, week mid range, and only pulling 38-39gph at 6000 WOT. motor with same prop previously revved out to 6400 and 44-45gph. replaced all spark plugs 25 hours ago, found one bad plug, all else was good. the motor with fouled plug is burning 10% more fuel at cruise.

im not getting any codes either.
    You would need to open a separate post for your engine, and provide the engine serial number. If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements (top of Forum) and be sure to follow when posting. Thanks!