Shallow spool reel for flipping and pitching?

I am finally going to be trying braid to flouro on my flipping and pitching rods. Looking for reviews on any of the the shallow spool reels. I am a diehard Shimano guy, but a good reel is a good reel no matter what brand. Specifically looking for a reel I can put 50-60 yds of 50 to 65 lb braid on without using a backing. Shimano Metanium shallow spool, Lews skipping reel, Daiwa? Any suggestions appreciated

2. Member
    I have used the Daiwa Tatula Elite Pitch & Flip as well as the Lew's Pro SP (skipping) reel. I have not used the Metanium shallow spool although I do have a non-shallow spool Metanium and it's awesome, so I'm sure the shallow spool version would be amazing as well. Of the Daiwa and Lew's, I would give the nod to the Daiwa Elite Pitch & Flip over the Lew's, but the Lew's is still a very nice reel and has a shallower spool than the Elite Pitch & Flip. The Daiwa has a longer handle and, in my opinion, is a little better at pitching and casting. I don't skip much to say which is better at that, but I'm sure both are fully capable. The one area where the Lew's reel has the advantage is in passing the braid-to-leader connection knot. I know a lot of guys have no issues with using a connection knot with the T-Wing reels, and I don't with smaller lines. But if you are talking about big braid to big flouro, I have had issues with the knot catching in the T when reeling back in. I use an Alberto knot. If you tie the FG knot I think you'd be fine. Again, that's just my opinion.

3. Member
    I have a Lews and a Daiwa and like them both.
    Red Sox in 6!

4. Member
    Why are you set on a shallow spool model? I only tried one and it wasn't any better. The Tatula 103SVs are pretty shallow and are really nice. I really like the Shimano Curado 70 MGL as well. For heavier stuff I still really like 200 sized reels, the larger spool keeps line recovery high and they just feel more powerful with a fish on.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

5. Member
    I use a regular Metanium for my pitchin and it works great. I use fluoro so there is less of an advantage with a shallow spool. If I were to use braid, I would use a shallow spool Metanium because there is less dig in and you get more precision with less line on the spool and a flatter level of line.

6. Member
    Just bought a new Daiwa Pitch and Flip, 8 to 1 and its my favorite reel now !

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoCialone View Post
    Just bought a new Daiwa Pitch and Flip, 8 to 1 and it’s my favorite reel now !
    Same here. Only caught a few fish on it so far, but I’ve no problems with backlash using 65# Sufix 832, and no problem snatching fish out of heavy cover.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    Daiwa Morethan PE or Silverwolf

Another vote for the Daiwa Elite P&F 8:1.1
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!