Thread: Buzz Bait Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just depends on the cover. Open water grass flats, I’m chucking on a 7’6 Megabass USA destroyer Valdivia for the longest cast I can make. Shorter casts to isolated stuff, I go with same series Daemos.

2. Member
    I much prefer a 7' for buzz-baits.. I like to be able to skip it under limbs and docks and its more accurate at throwing at targets for me. I like a MH with a moderate-fast tip. Had a Gen 1 Veritas 7' MH - moderate that used to be almost perfect.. Dumped it over the side into a 60' river channel a couple of years back and have struggled to find a replacement as good as that one. If I'm fishing open water and not target fishing I usually just throw a plopper bait anyway and will do that with a 7'6"

I would say SC Legend Tournament Sweeper Spinnerbait, but it’s been discontinued.
    St. Croix Mojo Trigon is similar action rod. You launch buzzbaits and chatterbaits a long way with the MHMF action
    7'2", Medium Heavy, Moderate Fast - $185.00
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmooskapaul View Post
    I don't think buzz bait rods need to be expensive. I do think they need some give in the tip. Especially if using braid. Some brands -mediums- could be perfect for buzz baits and big top waters.
    THIS^. If you are using braid, get a 7' Medium like a Falcon Bucoo, or if you are using Mono/Co-poly use a MH for a good hookset due to the stretch. It doesn't have to be expensive. Lots of good $120-$170 rods out there. Just make sure it has guides that can handle braid if that is what you are going to use.

5. Member

6. Member
    Any spinnerbait rod is perfect. Soft tip, good backbone for the stiffer hook. I don't like the extra-fast spinnerbait rods because I throw spinnerbaits on braid to leader, same as a buzzbait.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Dobyns 703 Sierra

Not sure why you’d need anything longer than 7’ for a buzzbait
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    The Dobyns Kaden 714 is an amazing rod. Perfect buzz bait rod/ Open water frog. You can also use it for dragging texas rigs/ Swimming plastics. At $179 its a very good value

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12