Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    A few hundred RPMs? Its like 600 low if you numbers are right. He got his easy money and don't want to truly FIX it.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    A few hundred RPMs? Its like 600 low if you numbers are right. He got his easy money and don't want to truly FIX it.
    Yeah....I wasn't thrilled with the response myself. I've taken it to this mechanic before and he's always treated me well...but this experience was not great lol.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    Were the injectors ever checked or cleaned? Seems like you are running a cylinder short. Does the #6 plug still look like it did before or does it look like the others now? Another question, does the motor sound louder than it did when it was running good?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Were the injectors ever checked or cleaned? Seems like you are running a cylinder short. Does the #6 plug still look like it did before or does it look like the others now? Another question, does the motor sound louder than it did when it was running good?
    No, no injector work - as far as I know. When I made the appointment, I told him I believe I had an injector issue - he asked why I thought it was an injector, So I provided him all of the information from this thread...including all of the troubleshooting steps I've done. - he agreed, could be an injector - but guess he went a different direction based on his troubleshooting.

I just pulled my plugs now to check....the #6 is still clean as a whistle....looks brand new. I wish I would have had the tools to pull and check the spark plug after running it, but guess I just trusted my mechanic.

I don't know that the motor sounds louder....maybe slightly different...but not a distinct difference.

I guess I need to find a local mechanic that does injector service....

Super unhappy with my latest experience with this guy.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

5. Member
    I hate it you're going through this . I've been there. Your just going to have to find a mechanic that is willing to and able to look at those injectors. Call around. You need to hit that one mechanic who is kind of old school and knows that engine.
    There's still good mechanics out there. you'll find him.
    If that plug is for sure getting spark then it almost has to be an injector.. probably just some trash in it but it'll need to come out to be fixed.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

6. Member
    I ask about being louder as the exhaust tuner could come loose in the midsection and cause running problems. But seems like #6 isn’t firing for some reason, either fuel or spark.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    I hate it you're going through this . I've been there. Your just going to have to find a mechanic that is willing to and able to look at those injectors. Call around. You need to hit that one mechanic who is kind of old school and knows that engine.
    There's still good mechanics out there. you'll find him.
    If that plug is for sure getting spark then it almost has to be an injector.. probably just some trash in it but it'll need to come out to be fixed.
    or no compression
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    or no compression
    Shop confirmed compression was approximately 120 across all cylinders when I called for an update after week 1.

I also did my own compression test on a cheap harbor freight tester before taking it to this shop....PSI wasn't as high but all cylinders were consistent

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

9. Member
    i have some questions did cheese head give you your old parts , do you want to repair this engine your self ????? ive said it before ill say it again incompetence abounds , crooks give us a bad name
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    i have some questions did cheese head give you your old parts , do you want to repair this engine your self ????? ive said it before ill say it again incompetence abounds , crooks give us a bad name
    He did give me the 2 powerpacks that were replaced.

I do most of the work on my motor...but when dealing with something I haven't done before...or an issue I feel is a little more advanced....I usually try to take it to a mechanic, that way I don't 'eff something up in the process.

I'm probably more mechanically inclined than your average guy...but definitely no expert.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    Check you plug wires.
    Allison XB 2002, 2.5 280

Quote Originally Posted by tomoad View Post
    Check you plug wires.
    I tested with a spark tester on each cylinder - would that not have identified a bad spark plug wire?

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

13. Member
    do you want me to tell you how to get injectors out so you can have them tested /cleaned/ verified
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    You can pull the plug wire off #6 and see if it runs the same, if it does it’s the #6 that’s the problem. I would send all injectors as Joe is saying above. I would also switch plugs, wire and coil with another hole to make sure those components aren’t the problem, new doesn’t always mean good and test again with wire off #6 and then again with the hole you swapped parts with.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

do you want me to tell you how to get injectors out so you can have them tested /cleaned/ verified
    Yes sir, that would be great. I would feel better with a support system, lol. I purchased the manual from Don a few years back - so I will start there.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

16. Member
    dis connect batt,remove ecu remove 2 screws from water module and lay it to the side leave blue and purple wires connected , remove both fuel pump wires, unplug all other connections going to housing , remove fuel filter brckt with filter on it and disconnect hoses from vst and pulse pump, remove the 3 screws from vst 1/4 drive 10mm socket ,do not take hoses loose from brass connector take out 2 large Philipps screws remove brass connector watch o rings , pop the linkage out of throttle cam remove cam, all thts left is bolts holding housing in place ,you can remove bottom cowl if you like i dont . let me know when you get there for inj removal ,,,,,,,,good luck now JOE

17. Member
    Joe mentioned it earlier, a failing injector can cause a blown motor pretty fast. No fuel, no lubrication, very expensive repair.

I'd consider getting the injectors serviced before running it any more.

dis connect batt,remove ecu remove 2 screws from water module and lay it to the side leave blue and purple wires connected , remove both fuel pump wires, unplug all other connections going to housing , remove fuel filter brckt with filter on it and disconnect hoses from vst and pulse pump, remove the 3 screws from vst 1/4 drive 10mm socket ,do not take hoses loose from brass connector take out 2 large Philipps screws remove brass connector watch o rings , pop the linkage out of throttle cam remove cam, all thts left is bolts holding housing in place ,you can remove bottom cowl if you like i dont . let me know when you get there for inj removal ,,,,,,,,good luck now JOE
    Thanks Joe...I appreciate your help.

I work during the week, but will start the disassembly on Saturday morning if schedule allows.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    #6 Spark Plug

Have you peeked in the plug hole and see what
    you can see?the last plug pic the ground
    electrode looks beat up to me.

20. Member
    agree it does , may have a broken reed , when he pulls the inj housing this weekend inspection of the reeds will be easily done , do that before any further work is preformed HEZ

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast