Thread: Ultrex issue

Ultrex issue

2018 80lb thrust ultrex. Recently started kicking spot lock off and has continued to get alot worse. Nothing is binding, rubbing or wrapped around anything to cause this. I have also noticed on my last two trips out that occasionally when I pressed the momentary button nothing happened. So yesterday I went out to see what I could figure out. I noticed that the prop will turn when motor is pointed slightly left and around to the stopping point but will stop turning when the motor comes to the 12:00 position all the way to 6:00 (turning right. During this I am not letting off of the momentary button at all. I tried adjusting the button but no change. While on the water I noticed anytime the motor is pointed to the starboard potluck kicks off. Any info is appreciated, I can't find this situation anywhere posted on line.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

2. Member
    Could be a lot of issues that could cause this. The two easiest things to check are one water intrusion and GPS module. Remove the prop and partially deploy the motor loosen the screw closest to the skag and see if you have any water dripping out. If no water is present then the next thing to do is loosen all the screws in the head cover and unplug the GPS controller. The foot pedal and motor should run as normal without the GPS controller plug in. If your problem goes away then you have a bad GPS controller. If neither of the above solves your problem then I will check for connections in the head to make sure that you're not touching each other or down in the foot pedal on the control board. If none of these problems exist then a trip to ASC would be worthy.

3. Member
    Thank you Bradrofish for the advice. No water in the lu, it actually looks brand new in side, same results with gps module unplugged, and no loose, corroded or touching wires. But here is what I have figured out, I thought it may be a momentary switch adjustment( even though that didn't make sense to me because the problem also occurs in spot lock mode) but I adjusted anyway to no avail. So I put it in continuous mode and steered by hand, when the prop gets anywhere between 9and about 11:30 it will stop spinning(often) I can turn the prop by hand and it doesn't start back up but I can barely and I mean barely put pressure on the pedal and it will start again. The opposite is also true, if it doesn't stop spinning at that position slight pressure on the pedal will cause it to stop. Again this only happens when the prop shaft is pointing between 9 and 11:30. I noticed on the water when spot lock disengaged it did so when the motor turned just a bit. Could the cause be a bad steering sensor?
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

4. Member
    No not the steering sensor. Spot lock does not use the steering sensor board to operate. It is only used when the foot pedal is used.
    If what you stated is true then it is pointing to a loose connection. This could be in the head or in the foot pedal. It could also be in the motor.
    From what you stated it is very difficult to find intermittent problems, but in this case it is sure suspect that there is a loose connection somewhere.