Check Engine Light / No horn

1999 200 Opti / Ser. #0G886121

Took boat out this morning, and after starting up, noticed that the check engine light was illuminated. However, the warning horn was not beeping. I went ahead and used the boat (close to the ramp), and did not have any problems. It ran just as well as it always has, jumping up on plane quickly, etc... The only problem I've ever had with this motor is that every now and then I'll get a warning beep with the check engine light, but it's very random and always just seems to happen when I hit rough chop when running hard, or am moving the shifter quickly between forward reverse. I've always related this to the TPS, but with it hardly ever occurring, never replaced it. With the warning horn not beeping now though and reading my manual, it appears a check engine light w/ no horn could be related to any of these components - MAP sensor, coolant sensor???, air temp sensor, injector, coil, or low battery voltage. I checked the battery voltage, and it was at 13V, so ruling that out. Also was going to rule out it being related to a injector or coil since the motor didn't exhibit any power loss or idle issues. Just wanted to get a feel for what others may think, and how to go about troubleshooting the MAP, air temp, and what's referred to as the coolant sensor??? Thanks ya'll!

2. Member
    Need the motor scanned to find the problem without guessing anf throwing parts at it.

3. Member
    Thanks Savage. I Understand that would be the preferred option, but if the multi-function gauge is correct, it seems it is isolated to only a few sensors. If there was a way for me to test those, it appears I could resolve this myself (without having to trailer to a dealer and leave). Do you know if there's a spec for testing the MAP, air temp, and coolant sensors just to see if they appear ok?

4. Member
    should be OHM test in your manel
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    That's what I cant find in my manual, is an ohm test for each sensor. It tells me how to remove/replace, but nothing around testing/troubleshooting to determine if they're good???

6. Member
    part number on that manual please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    90-855348R1

8. Member
    correct no info on ohm testing , engine will need diagnostic scan of faults to determine exact cause