Helix 10 G2N and G4N, used together

I just bought a used boat that has 3 Helix 10 G2N units (1 SI unit & 2 DI unit) . My old boat has 2 Helix 10 G4N units I will transfer to the new boat (1 SI unit & 1 DI unit). I'll also transfer mega 360 and mega live to the new boat. I'm unsure if mega live and mega 360 will work with the G2N units? I'm also assuming I'll need to replace the G2N SI transducer with the G4N SI transducer. I really don't need 5 helix 10 units, I'd be fine with two at the bow and two at the console. I'd appreciate thoughts on how best to use these units?

A G2N will not work with MEGA LIVE.
    A G2N will display MEGA 360 if the MEGA 360 is connected to a G3N/G4N MEGA SI+ or MEGA DI+ unit.

Yes the transducers are different, you can dumb the G4N down to the G2N level by using the older transducer and change the Connected Transducer to match, but you will have a dumber G4N.

The best use of the G2N's is to have a dedicated map unit beside the G4N's and don't connect a transducer to them. Share stuff via Ethernet.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Something else to keep in mind, the G2N units must use the older switches.
    I had to retire my G2N due to software not keeping up with updates and many glitches.
    Console: [Helix 10 MSI G3N>AS GPS HS>2x XM 9 HW MSI T>XNT HW T]:[Helix 10 G4N>XNT HW T]:[AS ETH 5PXG]
    Front: [Helix 10G3N>XM 9 HW MSI>Mega360 Universal];[Helix 12 G2N]:[MK Ulterra 60" i-pilot Link]:[AS ETH 5PXG]

4. Member
    Great feedback, thanks. Use G2N for mapping at bow and console makes lots of sense.

5. Member
    So I need to use a G4N for mega live. I'm assuming I need to use a G4N for side imaging or will side imaging, viewed through the network be as good of quality on a g2n unit? Is mega 360 image quality as good viewed on a g2n as a g4n?

Quote Originally Posted by Lezm001 View Post
    So I need to use a G4N for mega live. I'm assuming I need to use a G4N for side imaging or will side imaging, viewed through the network be as good of quality on a g2n unit? Is mega 360 image quality as good viewed on a g2n as a g4n?
    It is the same if the screen size is the same.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    thanks so much for the information. I see that G2n supports mega imaging but G4n supports mega+. If your in relatively shallow water 30 feet or less and only side imagaing 90 feet to the side of boat, will the average person see any difference on the screen if viewing side imaging or mega 360 on a g2n or g4n screen?