Thread: Best gas 2500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I went with the GM 2500 with the 6.6 gas engine and the Allison branded transmission this truck is very reliable. The previous post about the same tranny where thinking 1/2 ton trucks. The reason I went with this truck is reliability and cost to own I did quite a bit of research and would have bought a tundra if they still had a V8 but I wanted to stay away from the extra maintenance of twin turbo's down the road. The LS style motor has been good the 2500 has no AFM are DFM which helps in reliability, the Allison branded tranny has worked well behind the diesels and the rear differential is bullet proof behind the 401HP engines. I get about 14 MPG average so for only 3 trips to the lake.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post

I have a Dodge dealer on my route and as much as I like the looks of the Dodge trucks I know better than ever buy one.
    That's good, since they don't sell them. Dodge has not made pickups since 2009. Ram is it's own brand.

Anyway, I follow some pickup truck forums. From what I read, they all can have issues. What seems important is having a competent dealer close by. I don't blame you on the diesel. What the EPA has done to the diesel trucks is bordering on the criminal, IMO. If you don't haul decent weights and haul often, there can be issues. I own a 22 3/4 ton with a diesel, but it's not a daily driver, it's our tow vehicle.
    John

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragin_cajun92 View Post
    Emissions. Makes me nervous. I would want to delete asap and most shops have stopped doing it in my area.
    My 6.6 is going on 7 years old. Not one emission or DEF issue. Bone stock

4. Member
    Gm. 6.6 gasser
    ^ This and it does not have cylinder deactivation so will not have the problems associated with that.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

I’m looking at trucks too. I have a 6.4 hemi now. I really really want a diesel but the extra $10,000 up front plus emissions crap is hard pill to swallow. When my truck moves it’s towing a trailer. My tool trailer is around 5000 pounds.
    buddy of mine had catastrophic failure of fuel pump on his powerstroke and it cost him $14,000

i know the 8 speed is a great transmission so if I go gas I will probably buy another ram. My 6 speed in trash and I had it built at 90,000 miles.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    That's good, since they don't sell them. Dodge has not made pickups since 2009. Ram is it's own brand.

Anyway, I follow some pickup truck forums. From what I read, they all can have issues. What seems important is having a competent dealer close by. I don't blame you on the diesel. What the EPA has done to the diesel trucks is bordering on the criminal, IMO. If you don't haul decent weights and haul often, there can be issues. I own a 22 3/4 ton with a diesel, but it's not a daily driver, it's our tow vehicle.

changed the name because they were selling junk mostly-- all fiat owned now almost nothing is really a chrysler--ram all being brough in from europe now and badged ram or chrysler--i love the looks of the RAMS but the cummins has issues since 2018 and the trans are always a problem
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post

that's cute that you believe that... they got you right where they want you.........

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

changed the name because they were selling junk mostly-- all fiat owned now almost nothing is really a chrysler--ram all being brough in from europe now and badged ram or chrysler--i love the looks of the RAMS but the cummins has issues since 2018 and the trans are always a problem
    my ram was proudly made in Mexico.

Northern Cincinnati Ohio Close Enough like it or not its where I am
    Ford 7.3 all day

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Banned
    Ford 7.3, the other two don't even come close, make sure to get it with the 4.30 gears also.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ragin_cajun92 View Post
    Emissions. Makes me nervous. I would want to delete asap and most shops have stopped doing it in my area.
    You can do the deletes yourself, its not that bad.

12. Member
    They are all junk when they are broken down on the side of the road……..

buy what you like and be done with it.

13. Member
    It seem's the best thing to do after reading all the truck threads on here, is to always trade in before warranty expires on a new one.

14. Member
    Most of the big 3 trucks will be just fine. Everything can have a few issues. But the warranty’s will fix most of them. Just get what you want and it will work out great. Most people get along just fine and they never say anything. But the one that have problems make up most of the noise on the internet.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    that's cute that you believe that... they got you right where they want you.........
    It's easy to believe, since it's true. Sure, Stellantis is the parent company of Ram, and a lot of other brands, and they are based is Europe. But that does not change the fact that Dodge does not make pickup trucks anymore.
    John

The fords are having some transmission issues, Chevy is having oil consumption issues and Ram uses the MDS cylinder deactivation in their 6.4 HD trucks and that causes lifter issues. Pick what you like and drive it. I just bought a new ford 7.3 but I was aware of the issues.

17. Member
    GMC or Chevy then RAM.

18. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    The 7.3 has been flawless for me so far.....all 1500 miles. Wife loves it when towing her horse trailer. She prefers it over the sisters Ram 2500
    Thanos was the hero

19. Member
    I have a 22 Ram 2500 with the 6.4. I get about 16.2 mpg city driving

20. Member
    I think you got some good real world advice from some good guys that love to fishing! I just went through this myself and for me another important thing was I got the truck I wanted because I liked the looks and got the deal I wanted. I was also able to buy at my local dealer that is 12 miles away. I did have to work very hard to get the deal I wanted. I had to go a lot of places and make them go cheaper Lol. I also made them wait a little. What I mean, all the dealers called me back and wanted to know what it would take. Don’t give them a number that you think is to low because right now they need to sell trucks!! Take that number to the dealer and tell them to beat it….. Also look at an extended warranty if you’re Nervous about reliability.. don’t pay full price on one Either they will take a lot off that price too. Look at what you have now (what ever brand) GMC has an extra $2000 off For loyalty Rewards. Truck/car shopping is Brutally hard but you have to do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast