Knowing what you own

So I put my holdings into the Morningstar portfolio and ran an X Ray Stock Intersection on it which shows the percentage of each stock owned whether it is owned directly or in an ETF. I own no Microsoft individually in this account but since it is such a big part of many ETFs it shows I own about $43,000.00 indirectly buy owning some ETFs. Same thing with Apple. It is crazy how you can inadvertently become concentrated owning ETFs and individual stocks without really realizing it. The XRAY feature is really good at showing what and how much of a stock you actually own.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    That sounds really handy and would probably had saved me a few hours evaluating the holdings of the funds we can buy in our retirement portfolio.

I purposely concentrated our holdings into basically the mag 7 as much as possible a couple years ago and it's working out really well. Every few months I'll check the weighting of stocks in the funds, and adjust future allocations depending on stock performance. For example, I'll probably reduce the amount of a fund that we buy going forward that has NVDA at the top pick, and instead go with something that is more heavy AMZN or AAPL.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    That sounds really handy and would probably had saved me a few hours evaluating the holdings of the funds we can buy in our retirement portfolio.

I purposely concentrated our holdings into basically the mag 7 as much as possible a couple years ago and it's working out really well. Every few months I'll check the weighting of stocks in the funds, and adjust future allocations depending on stock performance. For example, I'll probably reduce the amount of a fund that we buy going forward that has NVDA at the top pick, and instead go with something that is more heavy AMZN or AAPL.
    I also use it when I am looking to add some ETFS. Last week I bought SCHY, EUDG, INDA and EWJ so added the to the portfolio before I bought them to see how much they overlapped in holdings.

4. Member
    I've said this about index funds even recently. We are not nearly as diversified as we think even if we own S&P500 index funds. About 8 companies have driven up the stock market over the past 12-18 months. My funds that are void of these companies have seen low to no gains.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947