Pro 170 Battery question

I am going to add a Ghost 24 volt trolling motor in place of the 12 volt MinnKota currently on the boat. I am looking for ideas from those who have done something similar where to add or move both batteries for the 24 volt motor? I am also thinking perhaps a lithium single 24 volt battery might be my best option. Appreciate any ideas you folks might have.

I got rid of my 2 12v last year, replaced with a 24v, plenty of room and saved about 50lbs, plenty of battery life left after using 6-7 hours...

3. Member
    What battery did you go with? What electronics do you run? Do you run trolling motor only off the lithium? I have quite a few electronic items and I'm not sure I should run off the TM battery but I also don't want a dead starting battery. ��

Quote Originally Posted by brett027 View Post
    What battery did you go with? What electronics do you run? Do you run trolling motor only off the lithium? I have quite a few electronic items and I'm not sure I should run off the TM battery but I also don't want a dead starting battery. ��
    Mine is from Impulse Lithium a sponsor here, Bill sells great products and great customer service....24v 60 aH LiFeP04

5. Member
    I have this 24v dedicated to my Ultrex:

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/50ah-24v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/

I get several days of fishing on a lake out of it no problem. I love it!
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Ultrex 80lb 52” iPilot Link
    Bow Mount Humminbird Helix 10
    Cockpit Mount Humminbird Helix 9
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

6. Member
    I replaced my 12v Edge on my 175TXW for a MinnKota Ulterra 80lb 24v. Ditched the lead acide 12v for 2 12v lithium. Saved about 50lb at least. 80lb rocks on my little boat. No prob lasting all day.

You can fit 3 group 27 lead acid batteries in a 170. You can only get the one closest to the bow and the one closest to the stern in trays, but there's enough room to put anchors in the sub floor to secure the battery in the middle. Putting them in requires about 5 hands to keep all of the cables and straps out of the way, but it's doable. You put one in and move it into the bow-most tray. The second one goes in and gets moved to the stern-most tray. Secure both, then put the third one straight down in between the others and strap it down. It helps if your trays have long straps so that you can pin them to the deck so that they don't get sucked in on the way down and trapped against the bilge wall where you can't reach them.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brett027 View Post
    Trolling motor should always be on its own batteries, you can run the electronics off of the cranking battery just fine as long as you have a cranking battery with enough capacity.