C-Map… how to know if I should update?

I bought the C-Map Reveal chip over a year ago.

Is there any way to find when C-Map last updated a lake? I’m not sure if there’s any reason to pay for updates…

I certainly don’t mind paying for them if there’s updated data for my lakes, but I don’t want to spend the money if nothing has changed.
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    I purchased a Feb 2021 Discover card at an online retailer (NC) on 12-17-2021.
    I first registered my card on 12-22-2021, no updates were available at the time.
    My subscription valid until 12-22-2022 (for FREE updates).

So subscription was 1-year from the Registration Date NOT the Sales Date. And definitely NOT 1-year from Feb 2021, card was 10-months old when I bought it.

Used a Windows 10 PC. Only update there was for this card was the 7-21-2022 28.19 GB update, which I got for FREE on 8-4-2022. In 2022 normal updates were 50% OFF (if after the 1-year subscription, said I saved $62 - since I got update for FREE).

Maybe your subscription would start when you register your card (?); if you didn't register it long ago (?); and get FREE updates for a year (?). May be pushing the limit though for post sales registration date ('over a year ago' ?). [my card was 10-months old when purchased]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tj; 05-07-2024 at 04:24 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

3. Member
    My subscribe is expired. I registered it when I bought it. It shows an update is available now for $90-something. I would like to have some general idea of what is in that update.

I have emailed their customer support and asked the same thing… no response.

Very few companies could sell you an update to a product without actually telling you what’s updated.
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    Update: I contacted C-Map customer service on 5/6 with this same question. They finally replied today. They said they cannot provide any information as to the specific details of the updates.

What a joke.
    2023 Puma STS

5. Member
    For future reference. C Map is updating their product constantly that is why best practice is the update your card at least 1 month for that first year. No Reason not to. Unless you wait until your subscription runs out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    For future reference. C Map is updating their product constantly that is why best practice is the update your card at least 1 month for that first year. No Reason not to. Unless you wait until your subscription runs out.
    You’re missing the point. They don’t provide any information about which lakes are being updated. After my subscription is up, it makes no sense to pay $93 for an update if they only updated some lakes in another state that I’ve never even heard of.

As someone who works in software devs, I can’t imagine trying to sell our customers an update and not providing them any sort of release notes with information about what was actually updated.