Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repowering Question - Mercury or Yamaha

I have a 2014 Pheonix 721 Pro XP that I am considering repowering in the near future. Currently running a Evinrude Etech 250 and not having any issues with it.

Prior to this Evinrude I have currently, over the last 25 years I had run all Mercury products on a Basscat, two Bullets, and a Blazer.

I like the new Mercury 4-strokes but I was thinking about going with a Yamaha SHO 250 if I repower but have heard a lot of negative chatter about Yamaha not stepping up regarding warranty work.

Thoughts or comments?

We don’t know any issues with Yamaha on warranty work. We do know that during CoVid, very long parts wait times existed for all brands. That was anomaly and not the norm. You will have to change out the control box either way. Yamaha connections will be easier for most to manage the gauge packages on and they might integrate easier on your 721 Phx dash components. As for quality on either one, we don’t have a preference. Mercury parts will be easier to come by usually, other than propellers today. Then there are plenty of options that will work on Mercury. On Yamaha their core propeller selection works well.

3. Member
    Odd place to ask about repowering your Phoenix, but BassCat does know all

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Odd place to ask about repowering your Phoenix, but BassCat does know all
    No other boat company in the world will be on here giving him an answer except basscat.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    I think pierce and company would gladly help anyone.

6. Banned
    Yamaha SHO is my vote.

7. Member
    I just repowered a 2014 Puma, stayed with Merc as that’s what was previously there and saved some $. If I was in your situation I would have went with the Yamaha SHO, I almost did anyway but found a Merc at a good price. Don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Good luck!

8. Member
    Waiting to pull the trigger on Caracal STS...going with a SHO...FO-SHO

9. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    I believe that the Yamaha is $1,500 higher than the Merc. I would get the Merc and put the difference towards a Merc Platinum warranty. I personally like both motors.

Merc will have a better service network and parts availability

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    I believe that the Yamaha is $1,500 higher than the Merc. I would get the Merc and put the difference towards a Merc Platinum warranty. I personally like both motors.

Merc will have a better service network and parts availability
    I wouldn't get the Mercury if it was 3K cheaper, the Yamaha is well worth the extra cost.

Northern Cincinnati Ohio Close Enough like it or not its where I am
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I wouldn't get the Mercury if it was 3K cheaper, the Yamaha is well worth the extra cost.
    By a Far chunk!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

13. Member
    I would never thought I would say this but based on my experience my vote is Mercury. My last two Yamaha’s (SHO and HPDI) have been disasters with 3 power heads. My last three 250 Mercs (Verado two Pro Xs 4s) has been excellent without a single warranty repair and I fish a lot. I have been a fan boy of Yamaha - golf cart, 40 Hp outboard, 200 Hp carbureted and multiple snowmobiles. I do like the look of the new Yamaha SHO cowling.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    I would never thought I would say this but based on my experience my vote is Mercury. My last two Yamaha’s (SHO and HPDI) have been disasters with 3 power heads. My last three 250 Mercs (Verado two Pro Xs 4s) has been excellent without a single warranty repair and I fish a lot. I have been a fan boy of Yamaha - golf cart, 40 Hp outboard, 200 Hp carbureted and multiple snowmobiles. I do like the look of the new Yamaha SHO cowling.
    What year was your SHO?

15. Member
    I have a 2022 Cougar with a Mercury. I had a 2016 Puma with a SHO.
    I would re power with a SHO, if the service after the sale options, were the same.
    I'm probably the opposite of most buyers. I find the boat, with the options I want. The engine choice is secondary to me between a Mercury and Yamaha.
    Agree with the above comment. BassCat is the only manufacturer that would answer this.
    Last edited by printman71; 05-25-2024 at 05:36 PM.

16. Banned
    Mercury, everyone works on them. I'm hearing very few problems on these new mercs. You may as well run the rude till it blows.

17. Member
    I have had both and did not find one better than the other. Service and accessibility is more important to me, which is why I stick with Mercury. Most opinions are biased and subjective, and based on personal experience. One person’s experience may differ from the next.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

18. Banned
    You can flash a 200-250 hp SHO to a 300hp, can't do that with a Mercury.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    You can flash a 200-250 hp SHO to a 300hp, can't do that with a Mercury.
    Because we need more boats going 85 so we can have a couple more wrecks to talk about.

Northern Cincinnati Ohio Close Enough like it or not its where I am
    Quote Originally Posted by WAWI View Post
    Because we need more boats going 85 so we can have a couple more wrecks to talk about.
    Just because it can doesn't mean you will use it all. More power can help you use less gph if you use it right.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast